Adding a hex version like PY_VERSION_HEX

Adding a hex version like PY_VERSION_HEX

mattip
In PR 12074 https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/12074 I propose adding a
function `version.get_numpy_version_as_hex()` which returns a hex value
to represent the current NumPy version MAJOR.MINOR.MICRO where

v = hex(MAJOR << 24 | MINOR << 16 | MICRO)

so the current 1.15.0 would become '0x10f0000'. I also made this
avaiable via C through `get_hex_version`. The hex version is based on
the |PY_VERSION_HEX| macro from CPython.

Currently we have a ABI version and an API version for the numpy C-API.
We only increment those for updated or breaking changes in the NumPy
C-API, but not for

- changes in behavior, especially in python code

- changes in sizes of outward-facing structures like PyArray_Desc

Occasionally it is desirable to determine backward compatibility from
the runtime version, rather than from the ABI or API versions, and
having it as a single value makes the comparison in C easy. For instance
this may be convenient when there is suspicion that older header files
may have been used to create or manipulate an object directly in C (or
via a cython optimization), and we want to verify the version used to
create the object, or when we may want to verify de-serialized objects.
The `numpy.lib._version.NumpyVersion` class enables version comparison
in python, but I would prefer a single value that can be stored in a C
struct as an integer type.

Since this is an enhancement proposal, I am bringing the idea to the
mailing list for reactions.

Re: Adding a hex version like PY_VERSION_HEX

Jerome Kieffer
On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 11:31:20 +0300
Matti Picus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In PR 12074 https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/12074 I propose adding a
> function `version.get_numpy_version_as_hex()` which returns a hex value
> to represent the current NumPy version MAJOR.MINOR.MICRO where
>
> v = hex(MAJOR << 24 | MINOR << 16 | MICRO)

+1

We use it in our code and it is a good practice, much better then 0.9.0>0.10.0 !

We added some support for dev, alpha, beta, RC and final versions in
https://github.com/silx-kit/silx/blob/master/version.py

Jérôme Kieffer

On 05/10/18 11:46, Jerome Kieffer wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 11:31:20 +0300
> Matti Picus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> In PR 12074 https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/12074 I propose adding a
>> function `version.get_numpy_version_as_hex()` which returns a hex value
>> to represent the current NumPy version MAJOR.MINOR.MICRO where
>>
>> v = hex(MAJOR << 24 | MINOR << 16 | MICRO)
> +1
>
> We use it in our code and it is a good practice, much better then 0.9.0>0.10.0 !
>
> We added some support for dev, alpha, beta, RC and final versions in
> https://github.com/silx-kit/silx/blob/master/version.py
>
> Cheers,
Thanks. I think at this point I will change the proposal to

v = hex(MAJOR << 24 | MINOR << 16 | MICRO << 8)

which leaves room for future enhancement with "release level" and "serial" as the lower bits.

Re: Adding a hex version like PY_VERSION_HEX

ralfgommers

On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 11:24 PM Matti Picus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 05/10/18 11:46, Jerome Kieffer wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 11:31:20 +0300
> Matti Picus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> In PR 12074 https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/12074 I propose adding a
>> function `version.get_numpy_version_as_hex()` which returns a hex value
>> to represent the current NumPy version MAJOR.MINOR.MICRO where
>>
>> v = hex(MAJOR << 24 | MINOR << 16 | MICRO)
> +1
>
> We use it in our code and it is a good practice, much better then 0.9.0>0.10.0 !
>
> We added some support for dev, alpha, beta, RC and final versions in
> https://github.com/silx-kit/silx/blob/master/version.py
>
> Cheers,
Thanks. I think at this point I will change the proposal to

v = hex(MAJOR << 24 | MINOR << 16 | MICRO << 8)

which leaves room for future enhancement with "release level" and "serial" as the lower bits.

Makes sense, but to me adding a tuple (like sys.version_info) would be more logical. Do that as well or instead of?

Re: Adding a hex version like PY_VERSION_HEX

Eric Wieser
+1 on Ralf's suggestion. I'm not sure there's any case where the C code should be using a hex version number - either it's using the C api, in which case it should just be looking at the C api version - or it's calling back into the python API, in which case it's probably not unreasonable to ask it to inspect `np.__version__` / a hypothetical `sys.version_info`, since it's already going through awkwardness to invoke pure-python APIs..

Eric