Arrays and format()

Ryan May-3
Hi,

Can someone take a look at: https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/7978

The crux of the issue is that this:

# This works
a = "%0.3g" % np.array(2)
'2'

# This does not
a = "{0:0.3g}".format(np.array(2))
TypeError: non-empty format string passed to object.__format__

I've now hit this in my code. If someone can even point me in the general direction of the code to dig into for this (please let it be python, please let it be python...), I'll dig in more.

Ryan

--
Ryan May

Re: Arrays and format()

Nathan Goldbaum
See this issue:

There was also a very thorough discussion of this recently on this mailing list:

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 11:32 AM Ryan May <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Can someone take a look at: https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/7978

The crux of the issue is that this:

# This works
a = "%0.3g" % np.array(2)
'2'

# This does not
a = "{0:0.3g}".format(np.array(2))
TypeError: non-empty format string passed to object.__format__

I've now hit this in my code. If someone can even point me in the general direction of the code to dig into for this (please let it be python, please let it be python...), I'll dig in more.

Ryan

--
Ryan May

Re: Arrays and format()

Ryan May-3
Gustav,

I had seen this discussion, but completely blanked when I posted my problem.

I looked over the proposal and nothing jumped out at me on a quick read-through; it seemed straightforward and would meet my needs.

I'll try to carve out some time to think a bit more about it and let you know if anything jumps out.

Ryan