Call for Reviewers

Anirudh Subramanian
Hi all,

This topic was brought up in the triage meeting today. Numpy is seeing a huge surge in the number of PRs (current open PRs: 253) which could means two things: 1. Increase in volume of incoming PRs 2. Not enough reviewers to review the PRs.

One thing that was discussed in the meeting was to add a stale label : "61 - Stale" which has already been added by Sebastian.

The community needs some help here and I think you can help irrespective of your level of experience with the numpy codebase:

1. Experienced numpy developers - To help review PRs for the areas they are already familiar with.
2. New contributors - Can help tag a stale PR or summarizing a long running discussing and next or reviewing PRs/triaging issues (for example DOC PRs should be a good starting point).

Numpy community has been generous with Triage access and if you are interested in Triaging PRs or Issues, please reply on this thread and a committer should probably be able to help.

I welcome more inputs on what we should do to reduce the number of open PRs, and what would help increase contributors or for contributors to do more reviews.

Anirudh

Re: Call for Reviewers

Mark Mikofski-2
Hi all,

I've never reviewed a Numpy PR before, but I have reviewed a (very) few SciPy PR's. I can help tag stale PR's. Just let me know where should I start, or what would be most helpful.

Thanks,
Mark

On Wed, May 20, 2020, 1:29 PM Anirudh Subramanian <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your interest Mark. You can sort by date and go through the PRs that have been lying around for a while and tag stale if there has been no response for review comments, or if it needs more work. Also, ping the author on the PR to see if they want to continue working on the PR if it has been lying around for a while. There maybe PRs where there have been not much reviews in which case you can tag it "Ready for Review". If you have more time, you can also help review one or more of the many open PRs or triage issues :).

Also, please provide your github id here so that a committer can provide the triage permissions.

Anirudh

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 2:24 PM Dr. Mark Alexander Mikofski PhD <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

ChunLin Fang

I've reviewed and submitted several Numpy PRs before, Glad to have the right to add tags.my github id is Qiyu8.

Thanks,
ChunLin Fang

Re: Call for Reviewers

ralfgommers

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 3:41 AM ChunLin Fang <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I've reviewed and submitted several Numpy PRs before, Glad to have the right to add tags.my github id is Qiyu8.

Hi ChunLin, thanks for your help! I've sent you an invite to the triage team.

Re: Call for Reviewers

mattip
Administrator
On 20/5/20 11:27 pm, Anirudh Subramanian wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This topic was brought up in the triage meeting today. Numpy is seeing
> a huge surge in the number of PRs (current open PRs: 253) which could
> means two things: 1. Increase in volume of incoming PRs 2. Not enough
> reviewers to review the PRs.
>
> One thing that was discussed in the meeting was to add a stale label :
> "61 - Stale" which has already been added by Sebastian.
>
> The community needs some help here and I think you can help
> irrespective of your level of experience with the numpy codebase:
>
> 1. Experienced numpy developers - To help review PRs for the areas
> they are already familiar with.
> 2. New contributors - Can help tag a stale PR or summarizing a long
> running discussing and next or reviewing PRs/triaging issues (for
> example DOC PRs should be a good starting point).
>
> Numpy community has been generous with Triage access and if you are
> interested in Triaging PRs or Issues, please reply on this thread and
> a committer should probably be able to help.
>
> I welcome more inputs on what we should do to reduce the number of
> open PRs, and what would help increase contributors or for
> contributors to do more reviews.
>
> Anirudh

Great initiative, it certainly would be nice to grow the community of
contributors.

Just to be clear: typically new participants begin commenting on open
PRs and issues, especially finding issues and PRs that have gone stale
and can be closed. Anyone can comment on a github issue or PR, no extra
rights needed. Once they learn their way around the community, the
codebase, and the process, we can grant triage rights.

Re: Call for Reviewers

Anirudh Subramanian
Apologies for the wrong message about triage rights earlier and thanks for the clarification Matti!