Deprecate np.testing.dec

rpolley
Saw some discussion in this issue that since the decorators in np.testing.dec are there to support the nose testing framework, and since we use pytest mainly for testing now, that the decorators there should be deprecated. I created a pull request that does this, and wanted to get the mailing list's opinion before it went forward. Any thoughts, suggestions, or objections?

Sent from the Numpy-discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Deprecate np.testing.dec

bashtage

Have you performed a search on GitHub to look for use of the decorators?  I think external use is more of a concern than internal.

Kevin

Saw some discussion in this issue that since the decorators in np.testing.dec are there to support the nose testing framework, and since we use pytest mainly for testing now, that the decorators there should be deprecated. I created a pull request that does this, and wanted to get the mailing list's opinion before it went forward. Any thoughts, suggestions, or objections?

Sent from the Numpy-discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Deprecate np.testing.dec

Charles R Harris

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 11:09 AM Kevin Sheppard <[hidden email]> wrote:

Have you performed a search on GitHub to look for use of the decorators?  I think external use is more of a concern than internal.

Kevin

Note that nose is no longer supported and needs (minor) patching to work with recent Python. Most distributions have maintained patched versions, but nose users should move to nose2. The nose decorators are like the NumPy matrix module and financial functions, but I'm not convinced they are worth keeping around when folks can move to nose2. Deprecation would be a good first step and then we can see who complains.

<snip>