Dropping Python 3.4 support for NumPy 1.16

Dropping Python 3.4 support for NumPy 1.16

I think NumPy 1.16 would be a good time to drop Python 3.4 support. We will want to do that anyway once we drop 2.7 so that we will only be using recent Windows compilers, and with Python 3.7 due at the end of the month I think supporting 3.5-7 for 1.16 should be sufficient.

Thoughts?

Re: Dropping Python 3.4 support for NumPy 1.16

Stephan Hoyer-2
This sounds good to me. Most of the downstream projects I work with have already dropped Python 3.4 support.

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 2:30 PM Charles R Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

I think NumPy 1.16 would be a good time to drop Python 3.4 support. We will want to do that anyway once we drop 2.7 so that we will only be using recent Windows compilers, and with Python 3.7 due at the end of the month I think supporting 3.5-7 for 1.16 should be sufficient.

Thoughts?

Re: Dropping Python 3.4 support for NumPy 1.16

Jarrod Millman
+1

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 2:27 PM, Charles R Harris
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I think NumPy 1.16 would be a good time to drop Python 3.4 support. We will
> want to do that anyway once we drop 2.7 so that we will only be using recent
> Windows compilers, and with Python 3.7 due at the end of the month I think
> supporting 3.5-7 for 1.16 should be sufficient.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Chuck

Re: Dropping Python 3.4 support for NumPy 1.16

Marten van Kerkwijk
It seems everyone is in favour - anybody in for making a PR reducing the travis testing accordingly? (It seems a bit of overkill more generally - would be good to reduce the kWhr footprint a little...) -- Marten

Re: Dropping Python 3.4 support for NumPy 1.16

teoliphant
It is a welcome thing to see Python 2.7 support disappearing.

Dropping 3.4 support in new releases sounds like a great idea as well.

NumPy was originally pitched as a Python 3 thing...

Travis

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018, 12:52 PM Marten van Kerkwijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
It seems everyone is in favour - anybody in for making a PR reducing the travis testing accordingly? (It seems a bit of overkill more generally - would be good to reduce the kWhr footprint a little...) -- Marten

Re: Dropping Python 3.4 support for NumPy 1.16

einstein.edison
It was a small task. I created a PR for it here. Feel free to merge after CI passes or close.

Hameer Abbasi
Sent from Astro for Mac