Dropping manylinux1 wheels for NumPy 1.20.

Dropping manylinux1 wheels for NumPy 1.20.

The 32 bit manylinux1 wheels are proving problematic, see https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/17174. One proposed solution is to only release manylinux2010 linux wheels for the NumPy 1.20 release. Thoughts?

Re: Dropping manylinux1 wheels for NumPy 1.20.

Matthew Brett
Hi,

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 10:51 PM Charles R Harris
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> The 32 bit manylinux1 wheels are proving problematic, see https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/17174. One proposed solution is to only release manylinux2010 linux wheels for the NumPy 1.20 release. Thoughts?

I think it may still be too early to discontinue manylinux1, sadly.

Systems requiring manylinux1 are those with:

pip < 19.0 (Jan 2019) [1]
Linux distribution older than around 2010 (glibc < 2.12) [2]

I did a PyPI BigQuery [3] just now, editing to give results for 32,
and 64 bit (by changing the manylinux wheel name matching regexp).

Then I processed a bit with Pandas [4].

It looks like about 34% of PyPI manylinux*_i686 downloads are for
systems that actually need manylinux1, and about 17% of
manylinux*_x86_64.  See the table in [4] for a listing of the top 10
entries.

Cheers,

Matthew

[1] https://github.com/pypa/manylinux
[2] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0571/
[3] https://gist.github.com/e3901b344b8d81f5633908347b1b333e
[4] https://gist.github.com/0f624ddbc34bc3db8bcae23e3eeb7b54

Re: Dropping manylinux1 wheels for NumPy 1.20.

ralfgommers

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> The 32 bit manylinux1 wheels are proving problematic, see https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/17174. One proposed solution is to only release manylinux2010 linux wheels for the NumPy 1.20 release. Thoughts?

I think it may still be too early to discontinue manylinux1, sadly.

Systems requiring manylinux1 are those with:

pip < 19.0 (Jan 2019) [1]
Linux distribution older than around 2010 (glibc < 2.12) [2]

I did a PyPI BigQuery [3] just now, editing to give results for 32,
and 64 bit (by changing the manylinux wheel name matching regexp).

Then I processed a bit with Pandas [4].

It looks like about 34% of PyPI manylinux*_i686 downloads are for
systems that actually need manylinux1,

Note that a large fraction of that will be CI systems that get default Ubuntu pip (18.1 mostly), and could be very easily updated just like we do in our own CI (a simple `pip install -U pip`).

If you really want to get to a small percentage of pip <19.1, we can wait for another 5 years. Which seems undesirable. While I agree that we can keep manylinux1 around for a little longer (maybe another year or so?), gating it on Linux distro pip version defaults would be odd. Pip is still very immature; people with a several years old Pip would be well-served by having to upgrade it.

and about 17% of
manylinux*_x86_64.  See the table in [4] for a listing of the top 10
entries.

Cheers,

Matthew

[1] https://github.com/pypa/manylinux
[2] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0571/
[3] https://gist.github.com/e3901b344b8d81f5633908347b1b333e
[4] https://gist.github.com/0f624ddbc34bc3db8bcae23e3eeb7b54

Re: Dropping manylinux1 wheels for NumPy 1.20.

Matthew Brett

Updated for Numpy wheels only - BigQuery [1], Notebook [2].

41% of 32-bit wheels need manylinux1, 30% of 64-bit wheels.

Ralf - agreed we shouldn't wait too long for old pip - but maybe we
need to think of some way of reminding people with old pip to upgrade?

Cheers,

Matthew

[1] https://gist.github.com/dc410698ca9e422aec08e4554eac6678
[2] https://gist.github.com/77879cb58b28b3d05c3c14b8a45687e8

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 3:37 PM Matthew Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 10:51 PM Charles R Harris
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > The 32 bit manylinux1 wheels are proving problematic, see https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/17174. One proposed solution is to only release manylinux2010 linux wheels for the NumPy 1.20 release. Thoughts?
>
> I think it may still be too early to discontinue manylinux1, sadly.
>
> Systems requiring manylinux1 are those with:
>
> pip < 19.0 (Jan 2019) [1]
> Linux distribution older than around 2010 (glibc < 2.12) [2]
>
> I did a PyPI BigQuery [3] just now, editing to give results for 32,
> and 64 bit (by changing the manylinux wheel name matching regexp).
>
> Then I processed a bit with Pandas [4].
>
> It looks like about 34% of PyPI manylinux*_i686 downloads are for
> systems that actually need manylinux1, and about 17% of
> manylinux*_x86_64.  See the table in [4] for a listing of the top 10
> entries.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew
>
> [1] https://github.com/pypa/manylinux
> [2] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0571/
> [3] https://gist.github.com/e3901b344b8d81f5633908347b1b333e
> [4] https://gist.github.com/0f624ddbc34bc3db8bcae23e3eeb7b54

Re: Dropping manylinux1 wheels for NumPy 1.20.

ralfgommers

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 5:01 PM Matthew Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Updated for Numpy wheels only - BigQuery [1], Notebook [2].

41% of 32-bit wheels need manylinux1, 30% of 64-bit wheels.

Thanks for doing the analysis, very useful data.

Ralf - agreed we shouldn't wait too long for old pip - but maybe we
need to think of some way of reminding people with old pip to upgrade?

I don't think there's much we can do unfortunately. That's up to Pip itself, and it may have good reasons not to nag people to upgrade.