Einops cross-linking from einsum

Alex Rogozhnikov
Hello all,

I'm developer of einops - python package for readable and reliable tensor operations.
Einops handles different types of tensors (including numpy, pytorch, jax, tensorflow and others) and targeted as a verbose replacement to existing numpy operations.

As einops now is quite mature project, I suggest linking einops from np.einsum function
(which was an initial point to appearance of this new interface, and many einops users previously used einsum)

Not sure about precise implementation - link in 'see also' works.
Alternatively, I can suggest a single-line description like:
Operations with similar verbose interface are provided by einops package to cover additional operations: transpose, reshape/flatten, repeat/tile, squeeze/unsqueeze and reductions.

Glad to hear opinions/recommendations.

Cheers,
Alex.

Re: Einops cross-linking from einsum

Stephan Hoyer-2
On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 10:53 PM Alex Rogozhnikov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

I'm developer of einops - python package for readable and reliable tensor operations.
Einops handles different types of tensors (including numpy, pytorch, jax, tensorflow and others) and targeted as a verbose replacement to existing numpy operations.

As einops now is quite mature project, I suggest linking einops from np.einsum function
(which was an initial point to appearance of this new interface, and many einops users previously used einsum)

Not sure about precise implementation - link in 'see also' works.
Alternatively, I can suggest a single-line description like:
Operations with similar verbose interface are provided by einops package to cover additional operations: transpose, reshape/flatten, repeat/tile, squeeze/unsqueeze and reductions.

Glad to hear opinions/recommendations.

Hi Alex,

I think this would be a nice idea! Putting a note like this in the "See also" section seems appropriate to me.

I would also suggest adding a reference to opt-einsum, which provides more flexible optimization routines for np.einsum.

Cheers,
Stephan

Cheers,
Alex.

Re: Einops cross-linking from einsum

ralfgommers

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 7:09 AM Stephan Hoyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

+1 from me both for einops and opt-einsum in the See Also section of einsum. Thank Alex, einops is really nice!

Re: Einops cross-linking from einsum

Alex Rogozhnikov
Thanks for the feedback!

Created PR for adding both einops and opt_einsum:
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/17432

,