Feature requests/Enhancements for upper-level engineering students

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Feature requests/Enhancements for upper-level engineering students

cooperrc
Greetings,
As the Fall semester is fast approaching (10 days away for us at UConn), we
are looking for senior design (also called capstone) projects for the
2020-2021 school year. The COVID situation has strengthened the need for
remote work.
The process here is that students are assigned to projects by late
September. Then, they have 6 main deliverables over the course of 2
semesters:
1. Initial Fall Presentation (~Oct)
2. Final Fall Presentation (~Dec)
3. Mid-year report (~Jan)
4. Initial Spring Presentation (~Mar)
5. Final Spring Presntation (~Apr)
6. Final report (~May)

My question to the NumPy community is: Are there any features or
enhancements that would be nice to have, but might not have a team dedicated
to the idea?

I would be happy to advise any projects that people are interested in
proposing. I would like to hear what people think would be worthwhile for
students to build together. Some background, these students have all used
Python and Matlab for mechanical engineering applications like linear
regression, modal analyses, ode integration, and root solving. They learn
quickly, but may not be interested in UX/UI design problems.





--
Sent from: http://numpy-discussion.10968.n7.nabble.com/
_______________________________________________
NumPy-Discussion mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/numpy-discussion
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Feature requests/Enhancements for upper-level engineering students

KevinBaselinesw
would your team be interested in contributing to my port of Numpy to .NET?

https://github.com/Quansight-Labs/numpy.net

I have the vast majority of the Numpy core working as a pure .NET library.

All of the other libraries that rely on Numpy are not ported. I am sure we
could find some good projects for your team to work on.  These would be
"green field" projects and would likely be great learning opportunities for
them.



--
Sent from: http://numpy-discussion.10968.n7.nabble.com/
_______________________________________________
NumPy-Discussion mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/numpy-discussion
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Feature requests/Enhancements for upper-level engineering students

Charles R Harris
In reply to this post by cooperrc

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 11:11 AM cooperrc <[hidden email]> wrote:
Greetings,
As the Fall semester is fast approaching (10 days away for us at UConn), we
are looking for senior design (also called capstone) projects for the
2020-2021 school year. The COVID situation has strengthened the need for
remote work.
The process here is that students are assigned to projects by late
September. Then, they have 6 main deliverables over the course of 2
semesters:
1. Initial Fall Presentation (~Oct)
2. Final Fall Presentation (~Dec)
3. Mid-year report (~Jan)
4. Initial Spring Presentation (~Mar)
5. Final Spring Presntation (~Apr)
6. Final report (~May)

My question to the NumPy community is: Are there any features or
enhancements that would be nice to have, but might not have a team dedicated
to the idea?

I would be happy to advise any projects that people are interested in
proposing. I would like to hear what people think would be worthwhile for
students to build together. Some background, these students have all used
Python and Matlab for mechanical engineering applications like linear
regression, modal analyses, ode integration, and root solving. They learn
quickly, but may not be interested in UX/UI design problems.


 
Thanks for the inquiry. We are always looking for new people who have the time and inclination to make a contribution to NumPy, but NumPy core probably isn't a good choice for class projects. Work on NumPy core requires C and CPython C-API expertise and experienced programmers generally take 3-6 months to come up to speed, the learning curve is just too steep for most students. NumPy also needs to be very careful about maintaining compatibility with existing downstream projects and in introducing new features. I suspect students would enjoy a faster moving project.

There is a lot of work on the website and online documentation that is moving faster than NumPy core, but that sounds like it might be out of scope for your classes. If not, let us know.

If you can think of new projects based on NumPy, that might work better. They could be written in Python and the students could release them on PyPI if so inclined. I suspect there are several ongoing projects that are more engineering oriented than NumPy and the current Python Science stack could use more engineering applications. Perhaps others more familiar with that area could make suggestions.

Chuck 

_______________________________________________
NumPy-Discussion mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/numpy-discussion
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Feature requests/Enhancements for upper-level engineering students

cooperrc
In reply to this post by KevinBaselinesw
KevinBaselinesw wrote

> would your team be interested in contributing to my port of Numpy to .NET?
>
> https://github.com/Quansight-Labs/numpy.net
>
> I have the vast majority of the Numpy core working as a pure .NET library.
>
> All of the other libraries that rely on Numpy are not ported. I am sure we
> could find some good projects for your team to work on.  These would be
> "green field" projects and would likely be great learning opportunities
> for
> them.
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from: http://numpy-discussion.10968.n7.nabble.com/
> _______________________________________________
> NumPy-Discussion mailing list

> NumPy-Discussion@

> https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/numpy-discussion

I don't have any experience in .NET, so I don't know how much help I could
lend/advise projects.



--
Sent from: http://numpy-discussion.10968.n7.nabble.com/
_______________________________________________
NumPy-Discussion mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/numpy-discussion
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Feature requests/Enhancements for upper-level engineering students

cooperrc
In reply to this post by Charles R Harris
Charles R Harris wrote
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 11:11 AM cooperrc &lt;

> ryan.c.cooper@

> &gt; wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>> As the Fall semester is fast approaching (10 days away for us at UConn),
>> we
>> are looking for senior design (also called capstone) projects for the
>> 2020-2021 school year. The COVID situation has strengthened the need for
>> remote work.
>> The process here is that students are assigned to projects by late
>> September. Then, they have 6 main deliverables over the course of 2
>> semesters:
>> 1. Initial Fall Presentation (~Oct)
>> 2. Final Fall Presentation (~Dec)
>> 3. Mid-year report (~Jan)
>> 4. Initial Spring Presentation (~Mar)
>> 5. Final Spring Presntation (~Apr)
>> 6. Final report (~May)
>>
>> My question to the NumPy community is: Are there any features or
>> enhancements that would be nice to have, but might not have a team
>> dedicated
>> to the idea?
>>
>> I would be happy to advise any projects that people are interested in
>> proposing. I would like to hear what people think would be worthwhile for
>> students to build together. Some background, these students have all used
>> Python and Matlab for mechanical engineering applications like linear
>> regression, modal analyses, ode integration, and root solving. They learn
>> quickly, but may not be interested in UX/UI design problems.
>>
>>
>>
> Thanks for the inquiry. We are always looking for new people who have the
> time and inclination to make a contribution to NumPy, but NumPy core
> probably isn't a good choice for class projects. Work on NumPy core
> requires C and CPython C-API expertise and experienced programmers
> generally take 3-6 months to come up to speed, the learning curve is just
> too steep for most students. NumPy also needs to be very careful about
> maintaining compatibility with existing downstream projects and in
> introducing new features. I suspect students would enjoy a
> faster moving project.
>
> There is a lot of work on the website and online documentation that is
> moving faster than NumPy core, but that sounds like it might be out of
> scope for your classes. If not, let us know.
>
> If you can think of new projects based on NumPy, that might work better.
> They could be written in Python and the students could release them on
> PyPI
> if so inclined. I suspect there are several ongoing projects that are more
> engineering oriented than NumPy and the current Python Science stack could
> use more engineering applications. Perhaps others more familiar with that
> area could make suggestions.
>
> Chuck
>
> _______________________________________________
> NumPy-Discussion mailing list

> NumPy-Discussion@

> https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/numpy-discussion

Thanks for the feedback Chuck. I'll poke around and brainstorm.



--
Sent from: http://numpy-discussion.10968.n7.nabble.com/
_______________________________________________
NumPy-Discussion mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/numpy-discussion