Fwd: SciPy2017 Sprints FinAid for sprint leaders/core devs

Fwd: SciPy2017 Sprints FinAid for sprint leaders/core devs

Nathaniel Smith
In case anyone is interested in helping run a NumPy sprint at SciPy this year:

Re: Fwd: SciPy2017 Sprints FinAid for sprint leaders/core devs

Charles R Harris

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 5:16 PM, Nathaniel Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
In case anyone is interested in helping run a NumPy sprint at SciPy this year:

I haven't found numpy sprints to be very productive. However, I think it would be useful if we could have a developers meeting sometime this year.

Re: Fwd: SciPy2017 Sprints FinAid for sprint leaders/core devs

Stéfan van der Walt-2
On Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 13:01, Charles R Harris wrote:
On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 5:16 PM, Nathaniel Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
In case anyone is interested in helping run a NumPy sprint at SciPy this year:

I haven't found numpy sprints to be very productive. However, I think it would be useful if we could have a developers meeting sometime this year.

Yes, I think it's helpful to think of the sprints as an onboarding opportunity, rather than as a focused working session.  Many of the scikit-image core contributors joined the team this way, at least.

Re: Fwd: SciPy2017 Sprints FinAid for sprint leaders/core devs

ralfgommers

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 10:55 AM, Stefan van der Walt <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 13:01, Charles R Harris wrote:
On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 5:16 PM, Nathaniel Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
In case anyone is interested in helping run a NumPy sprint at SciPy this year:

I haven't found numpy sprints to be very productive. However, I think it would be useful if we could have a developers meeting sometime this year.

Yes, I think it's helpful to think of the sprints as an onboarding opportunity, rather than as a focused working session.  Many of the scikit-image core contributors joined the team this way, at least.

Agreed, and I would call that productive. Getting even one new maintainer involved is worth organizing multiple sprints for.

That said, also +1 to a developer meeting this year. It'd be good if we could combine it with the NumFOCUS summit or a relevant conference in the second half of the year.

Re: Fwd: SciPy2017 Sprints FinAid for sprint leaders/core devs

Sebastian Berg
On Thu, 2017-03-30 at 22:46 +1300, Ralf Gommers wrote:

<snip>

> Agreed, and I would call that productive. Getting even one new
> maintainer involved is worth organizing multiple sprints for.
>
> That said, also +1 to a developer meeting this year. It'd be good if
> we could combine it with the NumFOCUS summit or a relevant conference
> in the second half of the year.

Would be good, even if there is nothing big going on.

Can we gather possible dates and possible (personal) preferences? Here
is a start:

* SciPy (Austin, TX): July 10-16
* EuroScipy (Germany): August 23-27
* NumFocus Summit?
* PyData Events??

Personally, I probably can't make longer trips until some time in July.
 time around then). We won't find a perfect time anyway probably, so
personal preferences or not, whoever is willing to organize a bit can
decide on the time and place as far as I am concerned :).

- Sebastian

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Sebastian Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, 2017-03-30 at 22:46 +1300, Ralf Gommers wrote:

<snip>

> Agreed, and I would call that productive. Getting even one new
> maintainer involved is worth organizing multiple sprints for.
>
> That said, also +1 to a developer meeting this year. It'd be good if
> we could combine it with the NumFOCUS summit or a relevant conference
> in the second half of the year.

Would be good, even if there is nothing big going on.

Can we gather possible dates and possible (personal) preferences? Here
is a start:

* SciPy (Austin, TX): July 10-16
* EuroScipy (Germany): August 23-27
* NumFocus Summit?

Austin, October (exact date TBD). I intend to plan a longer trip to the US around this summit, and I think at least one other core dev should go there. So this one has my preference.

* PyData Events??

Sticking to the ones in the second half of the year and in the US or Western Europe:

PyData Berlin, June 30 - July 2
PyData Seattle July 5 -7

Other options:

JupyterCon, New York, August 22-25
Strata Data Conference, September 25-28

Personally, I probably can't make longer trips until some time in July.
 time around then).

Same here.

Ralf

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 12:39 AM, Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Sebastian Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, 2017-03-30 at 22:46 +1300, Ralf Gommers wrote:

<snip>

> Agreed, and I would call that productive. Getting even one new
> maintainer involved is worth organizing multiple sprints for.
>
> That said, also +1 to a developer meeting this year. It'd be good if
> we could combine it with the NumFOCUS summit or a relevant conference
> in the second half of the year.

Would be good, even if there is nothing big going on.

Can we gather possible dates and possible (personal) preferences? Here
is a start:

* SciPy (Austin, TX): July 10-16
* EuroScipy (Germany): August 23-27
* NumFocus Summit?

Austin, October (exact date TBD). I intend to plan a longer trip to the US around this summit, and I think at least one other core dev should go there. So this one has my preference.

* PyData Events??

Sticking to the ones in the second half of the year and in the US or Western Europe:

PyData Berlin, June 30 - July 2
PyData Seattle July 5 -7

Other options:

JupyterCon, New York, August 22-25
Strata Data Conference, September 25-28

Personally, I probably can't make longer trips until some time in July.
 time around then).

Same here.

I'm flexible, anytime that works for others will probably work for me.