Fwd: We need help working on code coverage for Cython code

Fwd: We need help working on code coverage for Cython code

Matthew Brett
Hi,

Sorry for those of you also on the scikit-image mailing list - but
here again I'm asking for help to get coverage working for Cython
code.

Over on another mailing list, we've hit a big problem trying to work
out coverage on a large amount of Cython code.

As y'all probably know, there's no automated way of checking code
coverage on Cython code at the moment.

The Cython developers have done some work on this [1] but it is
currently stalled for lack of developer time to work on it.

We'd really like to get this working, and the Cython developers have
offered to help, to get this started.

Can anyone help us out by a) joining an interactive discussion for 15
minutes or so with the Cython developers to get us started b) helping
with a short burst of coding that will follow, we estimate a few days.

I think this is something many of us need, and it would also be a
thank you to the Cython team for their work, which we all use so much.

Cheers,

Matthew

[1] http://trac.cython.org/cython_trac/ticket/815

Re: Fwd: We need help working on code coverage for Cython code

Stéfan van der Walt
Hi Matthew

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Matthew Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The Cython developers have done some work on this [1] but it is
> currently stalled for lack of developer time to work on it.

It looks like we can help them with the rest of the work once the
lnotab PR is merged; is that correct?

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Stéfan van der Walt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Matthew
>
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Matthew Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The Cython developers have done some work on this [1] but it is
>> currently stalled for lack of developer time to work on it.
>
> It looks like we can help them with the rest of the work once the
> lnotab PR is merged; is that correct?

My very vague impression is that Stefan B thinks of the lnotab PR as
part of the process of getting the work done, so that merging would
only be worthwhile if it was pretty clear that the rest of the work
would happen as well.  We could ask again on the Cython list...

Cheers,

Matthew

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 9:49 PM, Matthew Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My very vague impression is that Stefan B thinks of the lnotab PR as
> part of the process of getting the work done, so that merging would
> only be worthwhile if it was pretty clear that the rest of the work
> would happen as well.  We could ask again on the Cython list...

I think a clear roadmap with small targets would help--few of us know
Cython in too much depth, so it would help if we could avoid any
duplicate effort/research.

Thank you for bringing this issue up on the radar.

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 12:52 PM, Stéfan van der Walt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Matthew
>
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 9:49 PM, Matthew Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> My very vague impression is that Stefan B thinks of the lnotab PR as
>> part of the process of getting the work done, so that merging would
>> only be worthwhile if it was pretty clear that the rest of the work
>> would happen as well.  We could ask again on the Cython list...
>
> I think a clear roadmap with small targets would help--few of us know
> Cython in too much depth, so it would help if we could avoid any
> duplicate effort/research.

The first step we thought of was having a group live conversation of
some sort with the Cython developers to get an idea of what work needs
doing.  So, I think the first question is - who would be up for
joining that?

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 10:15 PM, Matthew Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The first step we thought of was having a group live conversation of
> some sort with the Cython developers to get an idea of what work needs
> doing.  So, I think the first question is - who would be up for
> joining that?

I'd be up for that.  Also, perhaps some key Cython players would be at
EuroSciPy, then we can discuss it in person?

Re: Fwd: We need help working on code coverage for Cython code

ralfgommers

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 10:27 PM, Stéfan van der Walt <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 10:15 PM, Matthew Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The first step we thought of was having a group live conversation of
> some sort with the Cython developers to get an idea of what work needs
> doing.  So, I think the first question is - who would be up for
> joining that?

I'd be up for that.  Also, perhaps some key Cython players would be at
EuroSciPy, then we can discuss it in person?

There are no Cython devs that are presenting, so likely they're not there at all. If there's a clear todo-list / roadmap then EuroSciPy may be a good place to find help with implementing though.