GSoC 2017: NumFocus will be an umbrella organization

GSoC 2017: NumFocus will be an umbrella organization

Max Linke
Hi

Organizations can start submitting applications for Google Summer of Code
2017 on January 19 (and the deadline is February 9)

https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline?hl=en

NumFOCUS will be applying again this year. If you want to work with us
please let me know and if you apply as an organization yourself or under a
different umbrella organization please tell me as well. If you participate
with us it would be great if you start to add possible projects to the
ideas page on github soon. We some general information for mentors on
github.

https://github.com/numfocus/gsoc/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING-mentors.md

We also have a template for ideas that might help. It lists the things
Google likes to see.

https://github.com/numfocus/gsoc/blob/master/2017/ideas-list-skeleton.md

In case you participated in earlier years with NumFOCUS there are some
small changes this year. Raniere won't be the admin this year. Instead I'm
going to be the admin. We are also planning to include two explicit rules
when a student should be failed, they have to communicate regularly and
commit code into your development branch at the end of the summer.

best, Max

Re: GSoC 2017: NumFocus will be an umbrella organization

ralfgommers
Hi Max,

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 2:38 AM, Max Linke <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

Organizations can start submitting applications for Google Summer of Code
2017 on January 19 (and the deadline is February 9)

https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline?hl=en

Thanks for bringing this up, and for organizing the NumFOCUS participation!

NumFOCUS will be applying again this year. If you want to work with us
please let me know and if you apply as an organization yourself or under a
different umbrella organization please tell me as well.

I suspect we won't participate at all, but if we do then it's likely under the PSF umbrella as we have done previously.

@all: in practice working on NumPy is just far too hard for most GSoC students. Previous years we've registered and generated ideas, but not gotten any students. We're also short on maintainer capacity. So I propose to not participate this year.

On 01/18/2017 09:28 AM, Ralf Gommers wrote:

> Hi Max,
>
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 2:38 AM, Max Linke <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Organizations can start submitting applications for Google Summer of
> Code 2017 on January 19 (and the deadline is February 9)
>
> https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline?hl=en
> <https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline?hl=en>
>

> Thanks for bringing this up, and for organizing the NumFOCUS
> participation!
>

> NumFOCUS will be applying again this year. If you want to work with
> us please let me know and if you apply as an organization yourself
> or under a different umbrella organization please tell me as well.
>

> I suspect we won't participate at all, but if we do then it's likely
> under the PSF umbrella as we have done previously.

Thanks for letting me now. If you decide to participate with the PSF
please write me a private mail so that I can update the NumFOCUS gsoc
page accordingly.