[IT] Maintenance and scheduled downtime this evening and weekend

[IT] Maintenance and scheduled downtime this evening and weekend

Peter Wang
Hi everyone,

This evening and this weekend, we will be doing a major overhaul of
Enthought's internal network infrastructure.  We will be cleaning up a
large amount of legacy structure and transitioning to a more
maintainable, better documented configuration.

We have planned the work so that externally-facing servers will
experience a minimum of downtime.  In the event of unforeseen
difficulties that cause outages to extend beyond the times given
below, we will update the network status page, located at http://dr0.enthought.com/status/
.  This page will remain available and be unaffected by any network
outages.

Downtimes:
Friday May 2, 2008, 8pm - 10pm Central time
     (= 9pm - 11pm Eastern time)
     (= 1am - 3am UTC Sat. May 3)

Saturday May 2, 2008, 10am - 11am Central time
     (= 11am - 12 noon Eastern time)
     (= 3pm - 4pm UTC)

To reach us during the downtime, please use the contact information
provided on the network status page.  Please let me know if you have
any questions or concerns.

We will send out another email once the outage is complete.  Thanks
for your patience!

-Peter

Re: [SciPy-dev] [IT] Maintenance and scheduled downtime this evening and weekend

Damian Eads-2
Will this effect SVN and Trac access?

Thanks!

Damian

On May 2, 2008, at 5:45 PM, Damian Eads wrote:
> Will this effect SVN and Trac access?
> Thanks!
> Damian

Yes, this affects svn, trac, web, mailing lists,...everything, because
we will be working on the underlying network infrastructure.

-Peter

[IT] (updated) Maintenance and scheduled downtime this evening and weekend

Peter Wang
Hi everyone,

We will need to do some more on the network today, Sunday May 4, from
1pm to 3pm Central time.  (This is 2pm-4pm Eastern, 6pm-8pm UTC.)
This affects the main Enthought and Scipy.org servers, including SVN,
Trac, the mailing lists, and the web site.  As usual, we don't
anticipate the services being down for the entire time, but there may
be intermittent connectivity issues during that time.  Please try to
avoid editing any Trac wikis during this time, since you may lose your
changes.

We will try to complete the work as quickly as possible, and we will
send a status update when the scheduled work as been completed.
Please check http://dr0.enthought.com/status for status updates.

On behalf of the IT crew, thanks again for your patience and bearing
with us.  We recognize that these outages are inconvenient but they
are a critical part of the transition to a new infrastructure that
better supports the growing needs of the Scipy open-source community.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns!

-Peter

[IT] Weekend outage complete

Peter Wang
Hi everyone,

The downtime took a little longer than expected (perhaps that is to be
expected?), but everything should be back up and running now.  Mail,
web, SVN, and Trac for scipy.org and enthought.com are all
functional.  The mail server is working through some backlogged mail
but that should clear up in a few hours.

Thanks again for your patience during this upgrade process.  We're in
much better shape now to continue improving our network without
causing such intrusive outages in the future.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

On behalf of the IT crew,
Thanks,
Peter

Re: [SciPy-dev] [IT] Weekend outage complete

Matthew Brett
Hi,

I hope you're the right person to ask about this - sorry if not.

I have just noticed that our (neuroimaging.scipy.org) wiki link no longer works:

http://projects.scipy.org/neuroimaging/ni/wiki

gives a 502 proxy error:

Proxy Error

The proxy server could not handle the request GET /neuroimaging/ni/wiki.

Reason: DNS lookup failure for: neuroimaging.scipy.org

I don't think we've changed any setup - is it possible there is an
error at the server end?

Thanks a lot,

Matthew

On May 16, 2008, at 5:35 AM, Matthew Brett wrote:

> Hi,
> I hope you're the right person to ask about this - sorry if not.
> I have just noticed that our (neuroimaging.scipy.org) wiki link no
> longer works:
> http://projects.scipy.org/neuroimaging/ni/wiki
> gives a 502 proxy error:
> Proxy Error
> The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
> The proxy server could not handle the request GET /neuroimaging/ni/
> wiki.
> Reason: DNS lookup failure for: neuroimaging.scipy.org

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for reporting this.  Indeed, this was affecting some other
subdomains as well, but I have just now fixed it.

-Peter