NumPy sprint May 24-25 at BIDS

mattip
A reminder - we will take advantage of a few NumPy developers being at
Berkeley to hold a two day sprint May 24-25
https://scisprints.github.io/#may-numpy-developer-sprint
<https://scisprints.github.io/#may-numpy-developer-sprint>.
We invite any core contributors who would like to attend and can help if
needed with travel and accomodations.

Stefan and Matti

Re: NumPy sprint May 24-25 at BIDS

Charles R Harris
Hi Matti,

I need to know some details:
  1. Where is the meeting
  2. When is the meeting
  3. Where are good places to stay
  4. Is there a recommended airport
I expect the university has a page somewhere with useful information for visitors, a link would be helpful. I've been to SV several times, but the last time I was in Berkeley was in 1969 :)

Chuck

A reminder - we will take advantage of a few NumPy developers being at Berkeley to hold a two day sprint May 24-25 https://scisprints.github.io/#may-numpy-developer-sprint <https://scisprints.github.io/#may-numpy-developer-sprint>.

On 10/05/18 04:44, Charles R Harris wrote:

> On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 2:33 PM, Matti Picus <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     A reminder - we will take advantage of a few NumPy developers
>     being at Berkeley to hold a two day sprint May 24-25
>     https://scisprints.github.io/#may-numpy-developer-sprint
>     <https://scisprints.github.io/#may-numpy-developer-sprint>
>     <https://scisprints.github.io/#may-numpy-developer-sprint
>     <https://scisprints.github.io/#may-numpy-developer-sprint>>.
>     We invite any core contributors who would like to attend and can
>     help if needed with travel and accomodations.
>
>     Stefan and Matti
>

> Hi Matti,
>
> I need to know some details:
>
>  1. Where is the meeting
>  2. When is the meeting
>  3. Where are good places to stay
>  4. Is there a recommended airport
>
> I expect the university has a page somewhere with useful information
> for visitors, a link would be helpful. I've been to SV several times,
> but the last time I was in Berkeley was in 1969 :)
>
> Chuck

We will meet at the BIDS inside the Berkeley campus, more info on
travel, location and accommodation is here
https://bids.berkeley.edu/about/directions-and-travel

Re: NumPy sprint May 24-25 at BIDS

Jarrod Millman
Hi Chuck,

A few more bits of advice from a local ...

Oakland airport is smaller and closer, so I try to use it when I can.
But SFO probably has more options and isn't too far away.

I prefer Hotel Shattuck Plaza to Hotel Durant.  Shattuck is close to
BART.  So you can get on the BART at either SFO or OAK and get off at
the Downtown Berkeley station and then walk a short block to your
hotel.  Also, Durant is closer to the frat houses, so it can get noisy
at certain times (although, classes should be out so that shouldn't be
a problem now).

Some people prefer to use Airbnb.  If you go that route, I would try
to get something near (or on) Euclid Ave. between Hearst and Marin.
There is a bus line that runs up and down Euclid every 30 minutes.  It
is a pretty and very quiet area (as soon as you get a couple blocks
away from campus).  It takes about 30 minutes to walk from the corner
of Euclid and Marin to BIDS.  It is all downhill to campus.  (I live
near Euclid & Marin and often walk even though I have a bus pass.)
Once you get to Euclid and Hearst (i.e., the Northgate to campus), it
is a short walk (continuing in the same direction) to BIDS.

I am not sure about the hours of the sprint, but I suspect they will
be 9ish to 5ish.

I hope to see you and others soon!

Best regards,
Jarrod

On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 4:27 PM, Jarrod Millman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

OK, I've reserved at the Shattuck Plaza. There is a bike rental around the corner, would you recommend renting a bike ($35/day)?

Re: NumPy sprint May 24-25 at BIDS

Jarrod Millman
Hi Chuck,

I don't think a bike is necessary.  It is less than a mile from the
Shattuck hotel to BIDS and takes about 10-15 minutes to walk.  It is
also more or less completely flat and most of the walk is on campus.
There are tons of restaurants and stores immediately around the
Shattuck hotel, so the farthest you probably need to travel is from
the hotel to BIDS and back.

Best regards,
Jarrod

On 09/05/18 13:33, Matti Picus wrote:
> A reminder - we will take advantage of a few NumPy developers being at
> Berkeley to hold a two day sprint May 24-25
> https://scisprints.github.io/#may-numpy-developer-sprint
> <https://scisprints.github.io/#may-numpy-developer-sprint>.
> We invite any core contributors who would like to attend and can help
> if needed with travel and accomodations.
>
> Stefan and Matti
So far I know about Stefan, Nathaniel, Chuck and me. Things will work
better if we can get organized ahead of time. Anyone else planning on
attending for both days or part of the sprint, please drop me a line. If
there are any issues, pull requests, NEPs, or ideas you would like us to
work on please let me know, or add it to the Trello card
https://trello.com/c/fvSYkm2w

Re: NumPy sprint May 24-25 at BIDS

Jaime Fernández del Río
Hi Matti,

I will be joining you on Thursday, sometime around noon, and all day Friday.

Jaime

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 4:11 PM Matti Picus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 09/05/18 13:33, Matti Picus wrote:
> A reminder - we will take advantage of a few NumPy developers being at
> Berkeley to hold a two day sprint May 24-25
> https://scisprints.github.io/#may-numpy-developer-sprint
> <https://scisprints.github.io/#may-numpy-developer-sprint>.
> We invite any core contributors who would like to attend and can help
> if needed with travel and accomodations.
>
> Stefan and Matti
So far I know about Stefan, Nathaniel, Chuck and me. Things will work
better if we can get organized ahead of time. Anyone else planning on
attending for both days or part of the sprint, please drop me a line. If
there are any issues, pull requests, NEPs, or ideas you would like us to
work on please let me know, or add it to the Trello card
https://trello.com/c/fvSYkm2w

(\__/)
( O.o)
( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus planes de dominación mundial.

Re: NumPy sprint May 24-25 at BIDS

Jaime Fernández del Río
OK, make that all day Friday only, if it's Friday and Saturday.

Jaime

--
(\__/)
( O.o)
( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus planes de dominación mundial.

Re: NumPy sprint May 24-25 at BIDS

Jaime Fernández del Río
$#!#, was looking at the wrong calendar month: Thursday half day, Friday all day.

Jaime

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 4:37 PM Jaime Fernández del Río <[hidden email]> wrote:
OK, make that all day Friday only, if it's Friday and Saturday.

Jaime

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 4:36 PM Jaime Fernández del Río <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Matti,

I will be joining you on Thursday, sometime around noon, and all day Friday.

Jaime

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 4:11 PM Matti Picus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 09/05/18 13:33, Matti Picus wrote:
> A reminder - we will take advantage of a few NumPy developers being at
> Berkeley to hold a two day sprint May 24-25
> https://scisprints.github.io/#may-numpy-developer-sprint
> <https://scisprints.github.io/#may-numpy-developer-sprint>.
> We invite any core contributors who would like to attend and can help
> if needed with travel and accomodations.
>
> Stefan and Matti
So far I know about Stefan, Nathaniel, Chuck and me. Things will work
better if we can get organized ahead of time. Anyone else planning on
attending for both days or part of the sprint, please drop me a line. If
there are any issues, pull requests, NEPs, or ideas you would like us to
work on please let me know, or add it to the Trello card
https://trello.com/c/fvSYkm2w

(\__/)
( O.o)
( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus planes de dominación mundial.

--
(\__/)
( O.o)
( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus planes de dominación mundial.

--
(\__/)
( O.o)
( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus planes de dominación mundial.

Re: NumPy sprint May 24-25 at BIDS

Stephan Hoyer-2
I will also be attending, on at least Thursday (and hopefully Friday, too).

Best,
Stephan

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 1:40 PM Jaime Fernández del Río <[hidden email]> wrote:
$#!#, was looking at the wrong calendar month: Thursday half day, Friday all day.

Jaime

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 4:37 PM Jaime Fernández del Río <[hidden email]> wrote:
OK, make that all day Friday only, if it's Friday and Saturday.

Jaime

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 4:36 PM Jaime Fernández del Río <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Matti,

I will be joining you on Thursday, sometime around noon, and all day Friday.

Jaime

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 4:11 PM Matti Picus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 09/05/18 13:33, Matti Picus wrote:
> A reminder - we will take advantage of a few NumPy developers being at
> Berkeley to hold a two day sprint May 24-25
> https://scisprints.github.io/#may-numpy-developer-sprint
> <https://scisprints.github.io/#may-numpy-developer-sprint>.
> We invite any core contributors who would like to attend and can help
> if needed with travel and accomodations.
>
> Stefan and Matti
So far I know about Stefan, Nathaniel, Chuck and me. Things will work
better if we can get organized ahead of time. Anyone else planning on
attending for both days or part of the sprint, please drop me a line. If
there are any issues, pull requests, NEPs, or ideas you would like us to
work on please let me know, or add it to the Trello card
https://trello.com/c/fvSYkm2w

(\__/)
( O.o)
( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus planes de dominación mundial.

--
(\__/)
( O.o)
( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus planes de dominación mundial.

--
(\__/)
( O.o)
( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus planes de dominación mundial.

Re: NumPy sprint May 24-25 at BIDS

Jaime Fernández del Río
I have had a last minute meeting scheduled for this afternoon, so I'm afraid I won't be able to make it today...

I will be there tomorrow for sure, though. What time do you plan on starting?

Jaime

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 12:31 AM Stephan Hoyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
I will also be attending, on at least Thursday (and hopefully Friday, too).

Best,
Stephan

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 1:40 PM Jaime Fernández del Río <[hidden email]> wrote:
$#!#, was looking at the wrong calendar month: Thursday half day, Friday all day.

Jaime

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 4:37 PM Jaime Fernández del Río <[hidden email]> wrote:
OK, make that all day Friday only, if it's Friday and Saturday.

Jaime

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 4:36 PM Jaime Fernández del Río <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Matti,

I will be joining you on Thursday, sometime around noon, and all day Friday.

Jaime

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 4:11 PM Matti Picus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 09/05/18 13:33, Matti Picus wrote:
> A reminder - we will take advantage of a few NumPy developers being at
> Berkeley to hold a two day sprint May 24-25
> https://scisprints.github.io/#may-numpy-developer-sprint
> <https://scisprints.github.io/#may-numpy-developer-sprint>.
> We invite any core contributors who would like to attend and can help
> if needed with travel and accomodations.
>
> Stefan and Matti
So far I know about Stefan, Nathaniel, Chuck and me. Things will work
better if we can get organized ahead of time. Anyone else planning on
attending for both days or part of the sprint, please drop me a line. If
there are any issues, pull requests, NEPs, or ideas you would like us to
work on please let me know, or add it to the Trello card
https://trello.com/c/fvSYkm2w

(\__/)
( O.o)
( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus planes de dominación mundial.

--
(\__/)
( O.o)
( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus planes de dominación mundial.

--
(\__/)
( O.o)
( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus planes de dominación mundial.

(\__/)
( O.o)
( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus planes de dominación mundial.

Re: NumPy sprint May 24-25 at BIDS

Stefan van der Walt
Hi Jaime,

On Thu, 24 May 2018 10:01:40 -0700, Jaime Fernández del Río wrote:
> I will be there tomorrow for sure, though. What time do you plan on
> starting?

Thanks for the heads-up.  We'll probably start around 9:30am.  We're at
190 Doe Library on Berkeley campus.

We started today by discussing how a draft roadmap could look; I'll post
a more detailed update after the sprint.

Best regards,