NumPy video content: creating a YouTube channel

NumPy video content: creating a YouTube channel

Melissa Mendonça
Hi all,

The NumPy Documentation Team has been discussing video content as part of our outreach and documentation efforts, in part inspired by the excellent Spyder IDE channel [1]. At our last meeting, we realized there is already a good amount of content about NumPy on YouTube (a few examples [2, 3, 4]). We thought about creating a YouTube account for NumPy and listing those videos in a playlist, initially. Eventually, we can also add our own videos about how to contribute - we're still brainstorming on those.

I'm writing to the mailing list to ask the community for input on creating this as an official channel for NumPy. If you have any thoughts or questions regarding this, please let us know.

Cheers,

Melissa

Re: NumPy video content: creating a YouTube channel

ralfgommers

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 6:45 PM Melissa Mendonça <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

The NumPy Documentation Team has been discussing video content as part of our outreach and documentation efforts, in part inspired by the excellent Spyder IDE channel [1]. At our last meeting, we realized there is already a good amount of content about NumPy on YouTube (a few examples [2, 3, 4]). We thought about creating a YouTube account for NumPy and listing those videos in a playlist, initially. Eventually, we can also add our own videos about how to contribute - we're still brainstorming on those.

I'm writing to the mailing list to ask the community for input on creating this as an official channel for NumPy. If you have any thoughts or questions regarding this, please let us know.

Sounds like a great idea to me! There are some more NumPy talk videos listed on https://numpy.org/learn/.

Re: NumPy video content: creating a YouTube channel

Joe Harrington
On 1/25/21, 12:44 PM, Melissa Mendonça <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The NumPy Documentation Team has been discussing video content as part
> of our outreach and documentation efforts, in part inspired by the
> excellent Spyder IDE channel [1]. At our last meeting, we realized
> there is already a good amount of content about NumPy on YouTube (a
> few examples [2, 3, 4]). We thought about creating a YouTube account
> for NumPy and listing those videos in a playlist, initially.
> Eventually, we can also add our own videos about how to contribute -
> we're still brainstorming on those.
>
> I'm writing to the mailing list to ask the community for input on
> creating this as an official channel for NumPy. If you have any
> thoughts or questions regarding this, please let us know.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Melissa
>
> [1] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAOyvaOj7dMnavvGUkz9Djg
> [2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTJD_FDVjU
> [3] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHJqOE5j6xE
> [4] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB7BZMhfPgk

I like the idea of there being such a channel very much! However,
whether it's formally a project of NumPy or just run by community
members makes a difference.  If it's formally part of the project, you'd
expect those to be 100% current and the best content on the topic, or at
least highly competitive with the best.  They should get updates with
each significant release.

For example, I think it's safe to say that nobody else has produced a
reference manual that competes with the reference pages.  They're kept
up to date and are pretty readable.

It's harder to spot-edit video, though, to keep up with changes.  Unless
you have a lot of volunteers and are ready to coordinate them all, a
video project might best be done as a side venture or with a beta label
until it demonstrates that it can keep its content fresh.  An indexing
effort for existing, high-quality video might be more valuable in the
short term than shooting all-new video, too.

--jh--

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 3:10 AM Joe Harrington <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Joe. I think that all makes sense and is a valid concern that we also share. For now, we might experiment with indexing talks that are already online, and if we do build up enough contributors to generate original video content, we can go ahead with this idea.

Cheers,

Melissa