Numpy 1.11.3, scipy 0.18.1, MSVC 2015 and crashes in complex functions

Numpy 1.11.3, scipy 0.18.1, MSVC 2015 and crashes in complex functions

David Cournapeau
Hi there,

While building the latest scipy on top of numpy 1.11.3, I have noticed crashes while running the scipy test suite, in scipy.special (e.g. in scipy.special hyp0f1 test).. This only happens on windows for python 3.5 (where we use MSVC 2015 compiler).

Applying some violence to distutils, I re-built numpy/scipy with debug symbols, and the debugger claims that crashes happen inside scipy.special ufunc cython code, when calling clog or csqrt. I first suspected a compiler bug, but disabling those functions in numpy, to force using our own versions in npymath, made the problem go away.

I am a bit suspicious about the whole thing as neither conda's or gholke's wheel crashed. Has anybody else encountered this ?

David

Re: Numpy 1.11.3, scipy 0.18.1, MSVC 2015 and crashes in complex functions

David Cournapeau
Indeed. I wrongly assumed that since gholke's wheels did not crash, they did not run into that issue.

That sounds like an ABI issue, since I suspect intel math library supports C99 complex numbers. I will add info on that issue then,

David