Numpy 1.20.1 availability

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Numpy 1.20.1 availability

dan_patterson
Any idea why the most recent version isn't available on the main anaconda
channel.  conda-forge and building are not options for a number of reasons.  
I posted a package request there but double digit days have gone by it just
got a thumbs up and package-request tag
https://github.com/ContinuumIO/anaconda-issues/issues/12309
I realize it could be the "times" or maybe no one is aware of its absence.



--
Sent from: http://numpy-discussion.10968.n7.nabble.com/
_______________________________________________
NumPy-Discussion mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/numpy-discussion
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Numpy 1.20.1 availability

mattip
Administrator

On 3/14/21 6:12 AM, dan_patterson wrote:

Any idea why the most recent version isn't available on the main anaconda
channel.  conda-forge and building are not options for a number of reasons.  
I posted a package request there but double digit days have gone by it just
got a thumbs up and package-request tag
https://github.com/ContinuumIO/anaconda-issues/issues/12309
I realize it could be the "times" or maybe no one is aware of its absence.


NumPy does not control the packages on the main anaconda channel, so a request here is likely to go unanswered. The package has been updated in the conda-forge channel.


Matti


_______________________________________________
NumPy-Discussion mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/numpy-discussion
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Numpy 1.20.1 availability

Peter Cock
I would recommend using the community run conda-forge as one of your
default conda channels. They have a very slick largely automated system
to update recipes when upstream makes a release. The default Anaconda
channel from Anaconda, Inc. (formerly Continuum Analytics, Inc.) is
comparatively slow.

You may recognise some of the maintainers of the conda-forge numpy
recipe? https://github.com/conda-forge/numpy-feedstock/

I'm impressed to see 17 million conda-forge numpy downloads, vs
'just' 2.5 million downloads of the default channel's package:

https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/numpy
https://anaconda.org/anaconda/numpy

Regards,

Peter

On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 8:06 AM Matti Picus <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On 3/14/21 6:12 AM, dan_patterson wrote:
>
> Any idea why the most recent version isn't available on the main anaconda
> channel.  conda-forge and building are not options for a number of reasons.
> I posted a package request there but double digit days have gone by it just
> got a thumbs up and package-request tag
> https://github.com/ContinuumIO/anaconda-issues/issues/12309
> I realize it could be the "times" or maybe no one is aware of its absence.
>
>
> NumPy does not control the packages on the main anaconda channel, so a request here is likely to go unanswered. The package has been updated in the conda-forge channel.
>
>
> Matti
>
> _______________________________________________
> NumPy-Discussion mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/numpy-discussion
_______________________________________________
NumPy-Discussion mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/numpy-discussion
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Numpy 1.20.1 availability

dan_patterson
Thanks, glad to hear that people are aware of the delay.
As I said, there are other reasons beyond my control, for the limitations.
The wait is on.



--
Sent from: http://numpy-discussion.10968.n7.nabble.com/
_______________________________________________
NumPy-Discussion mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/numpy-discussion
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Numpy 1.20.1 availability

ralfgommers
In reply to this post by Peter Cock


On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 11:14 AM Peter Cock <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would recommend using the community run conda-forge as one of your
default conda channels. They have a very slick largely automated system
to update recipes when upstream makes a release. The default Anaconda
channel from Anaconda, Inc. (formerly Continuum Analytics, Inc.) is
comparatively slow.

Agreed. I know the goal of the maintainers of the defaults channel is to make the latest version available quickly. However, `defaults` requires more integration testing than conda-forge/PyPI, and work tends to happen in batches - in the past we've seen update times ranging from days to several months.

We have some guidance at https://numpy.org/install/. Basically the two main reasons to use `defaults`: for beginning users with modest needs, the easiest thing to get started is just installing the Anaconda distribution (which gives you `defaults`). Or you have corporate policies to use `defaults` - you can pay Anaconda and it does come with things companies and institutions may need, like guarantees around uptime and security.

Cheers,
Ralf


You may recognise some of the maintainers of the conda-forge numpy
recipe? https://github.com/conda-forge/numpy-feedstock/

I'm impressed to see 17 million conda-forge numpy downloads, vs
'just' 2.5 million downloads of the default channel's package:

https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/numpy
https://anaconda.org/anaconda/numpy

Regards,

Peter

On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 8:06 AM Matti Picus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 3/14/21 6:12 AM, dan_patterson wrote:
>
> Any idea why the most recent version isn't available on the main anaconda
> channel.  conda-forge and building are not options for a number of reasons.
> I posted a package request there but double digit days have gone by it just
> got a thumbs up and package-request tag
> https://github.com/ContinuumIO/anaconda-issues/issues/12309
> I realize it could be the "times" or maybe no one is aware of its absence.
>
>
> NumPy does not control the packages on the main anaconda channel, so a request here is likely to go unanswered. The package has been updated in the conda-forge channel.
>
>
> Matti
>
> _______________________________________________
> NumPy-Discussion mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/numpy-discussion
_______________________________________________
NumPy-Discussion mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/numpy-discussion

_______________________________________________
NumPy-Discussion mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/numpy-discussion
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Numpy 1.20.1 availability

Jerome Kieffer
In reply to this post by Peter Cock
On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 10:14:13 +0000
Peter Cock <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm impressed to see 17 million conda-forge numpy downloads, vs
> 'just' 2.5 million downloads of the default channel's package:

I doubt the download figures from conda are correct ...

A couple of days after my software package has entered "conda-forge" its
metric was already 2 orders of magnitude larger than any other distribution route:
pip, debian packages, ... Since I know the approximate size of the
community, I have some doubts on the figures.

I suspect downloads for CI are all accounted and none cached, ...

Cheers,

Jerome
_______________________________________________
NumPy-Discussion mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/numpy-discussion