Numpy Documentation: How-to content

cooperrc
Greetings,
This is Ryan Cooper (ME professor at University of Connecticut). I've been using Numpy in my mechanical engineering courses for years now, and I'd like to build resources for newcomers to Numpy.

Here is my proposed contribution:
Advise engineering students here at UConn to build How-to notebooks for Numpy applications. This would give the students some great experience communicating concepts and procedures to a broader community and it would help future users see how to use Numpy in different applications.

Some How-to's that I had in mind would be:
  • Saving and loading Numpy arrays
  • Doing fast fourier transform (FFT) on time-series data to find natural frequencies
  • Solving linear sets of equations for circuits or another linear system with linear algebra
  • using eigenvalues for natural frequency calculations
I'm open to other suggestions. These are some of the applications that I have current students doing in engineering work.

My question is: Would these How-to's be appopriate for the "Numpy Tutorials" (https://github.com/numpy/numpy-tutorials) repo?

My personal opinion is that How-to's are easier to organize and curate (for Numpy) and easier to write (for students).

Best Regards,
Ryan

Ryan C. Cooper, Ph. D.
Assistant Professor-in-Residence
University of Connecticut
Mechanical Engineering Department
Engineering II, room 314
191 Auditorium rd
Storrs, CT 06269
email: [hidden email]

Re: Numpy Documentation: How-to content

Ben Nathanson
This sounds fantastic.

In what context would the students be creating the notebooks -- as
part of one of your existing ME courses, as a for-credit project, as a
supervised but non-credit project?

What were your thoughts on submission workflow? You review initially,
then the student directly submits a PR?

Suppose several students want to create a notebook on the same topic.
Would you steer them to another topic, allow them to work
independently and both submit (and we merge best of both), urge them
to collaborate?

Were you planning to keep the mechanical engineering context for these
problems, or present abstractly?  (I myself would like to see the
application left intact. It doesn't obscure the steps, and I love the
brothers-and-sisters-under-the-skin glimpse of how other domains make
use of the same tools I do.)

> easier to organize and...write

I agree. Pedagogical soundness is also a plus. Procida says "what you
ask the beginner to do [in a tutorial] must work"
(https://documentation.divio.com/tutorials/). That means, among other
things, that we need to specify a single environment to run the
tutorial in. Notebook is the all-around win for this.

Re: Numpy Documentation: How-to content

cooperrc
> This sounds fantastic.

Great!

> In what context would the students be creating the notebooks -- as
> part of one of your existing ME courses, as a for-credit project, as a
> supervised but non-credit project?

These would be supervised projects either for work-study or credit.

> What were your thoughts on submission workflow? You review initially,
> then the student directly submits a PR?

My plan was to mentor the initial idea and creation and help the students submit
PRs. For most, this will be their first interaction with Github.

> Suppose several students want to create a notebook on the same topic.
> Would you steer them to another topic, allow them to work
> independently and both submit (and we merge best of both), urge them
> to collaborate?

My hope would be students that are passionate about the same topic could
collaborate. I've had students collaborate on topic ideas for small projects
that worked very well.

> Were you planning to keep the mechanical engineering context for these
> problems, or present abstractly?

I would plan to keep the How-to as an engineering application. It shouldn't
detract from the underlying numerical work.

Re: Numpy Documentation: How-to content

ralfgommers

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 8:18 PM Ryan C. Cooper <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This sounds fantastic.

Great!

> In what context would the students be creating the notebooks -- as
> part of one of your existing ME courses, as a for-credit project, as a
> supervised but non-credit project?

These would be supervised projects either for work-study or credit.

> What were your thoughts on submission workflow? You review initially,
> then the student directly submits a PR?

My plan was to mentor the initial idea and creation and help the students submit
PRs. For most, this will be their first interaction with Github.

> Suppose several students want to create a notebook on the same topic.
> Would you steer them to another topic, allow them to work
> independently and both submit (and we merge best of both), urge them
> to collaborate?

My hope would be students that are passionate about the same topic could
collaborate. I've had students collaborate on topic ideas for small projects
that worked very well.

> Were you planning to keep the mechanical engineering context for these
> problems, or present abstractly?

I would plan to keep the How-to as an engineering application. It shouldn't
detract from the underlying numerical work.

This is something we've discussed before. It would be very useful to have such engineering applications. +1 for your proposal.