Opportunities for a NumPy sprint in Japan

Opportunities for a NumPy sprint in Japan

David Cournapeau
Hi there,

My current employer is organizing regular "hack weeks" where engineers can work on the projects of their choice. My team is using a lot of pydata tools, including numpy, so contributing to NumPy would be natural. Before I decide to add NumPy as a project, I want to make sure it does not create more burden for the maintainers, the goal is to help the project, and for my team's members to help them contributing to OSS in "proper way".

I would have time to prepare the hack week, making sure we prepare good PRs, and even use this time to actually review existing PRs myself. While I have been away from the project for a long time, I should still be able to review code, help my team building / testing / debugging, etc.

Does that sound useful ?

The first hack week would be held from 23th to 27th March, in Tokyo. Everybody would be remote because of the coronavirus, so except for time difference, if it makes sense, people outside of my employer could join.

regards,
David

Re: Opportunities for a NumPy sprint in Japan

Charles R Harris

Hi David,

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 8:43 PM David Cournapeau <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Good to hear from you. We always appreciate help, especially if it comes with some experience :) It would also be helpful if you reviewed the NEPs dealing with dtypes. We don't get as much feedback from users as we would like and if you are using a lot of the open source tools your perspective could be very helpful. Keep us informed, and maybe toss around some ideas for discussion. We have community meetings on zoom every Wednesday at 12:00 noon Pacific time, so you may want to drop in if the time works for you.

Re: Opportunities for a NumPy sprint in Japan

David Cournapeau
Hi chuck,

Le jeu. 12 mars 2020 à 13:17, Charles R Harris <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

So to clarify, I am expecting to have people from my team making most of the contributions. In this case, since people are not so familiar w/ the internal of NumPy, I was thinking more about bugs / docs / etc. than the hard stuff like dtype.

I will try to join the meeting next week though (where are the info to join ?),

David

Re: Opportunities for a NumPy sprint in Japan

mattip
Administrator

On 12/3/20 8:14 am, David Cournapeau wrote:

> I will try to join the meeting next week though (where are the info to
> join ?),
>
> David

The next one will be a community meeting on Wed Mar 18, 11am California
time on this zoom channel https://berkeley.zoom.us/j/762261535. We will
be updating this hackmd document
https://hackmd.io/76o-IxCjQX2mOXO_wwkcpg with topics for discussion, I
will add you to the agenda. If you miss that one, we hold triage
meetings on alternate weeks at the same time on the same zoom channel,
the document for that is https://hackmd.io/68i_JvOYQfy9ERiHgXMPvg.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 7:14 AM David Cournapeau <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hey David, great to hear from you! This sounds great. I assume most people are experienced NumPy users, and/or experienced sw devs? So they could write longer docs, or tackle bugs that require some digging? Or are you looking for good-first-issue type things mainly?

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 3:41 PM Matti Picus <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 12/3/20 8:14 am, David Cournapeau wrote:

> I will try to join the meeting next week though (where are the info to
> join ?),
>
> David

The next one will be a community meeting on Wed Mar 18, 11am California
time on this zoom channel https://berkeley.zoom.us/j/762261535.

Unfortunately, 11 a.m. pacific time is particularly difficult to make it in Japan (3 a.m. here).

Would it be possible to instead prepare questions beforehand, and manage those asynchronously ?

I am looking for the following:

1. Issues that are good for first timers. Pretty much all of my team has experience in python, and knows the core numpy, and has easy access to both mac and linux. Not many people have experience with C or Cython.
2. Doc and issues that require digging: this is good too, my team needs to learn this.

In that context, I can try to do some triaging myself before the 18th march meeting, and get confirmation about the list ?

I can myself review some PRs as well, but as this is review time in the quarter and I have a large team, I may not be able to do deep PRs.

David

We will
be updating this hackmd document
https://hackmd.io/76o-IxCjQX2mOXO_wwkcpg with topics for discussion, I
will add you to the agenda. If you miss that one, we hold triage
meetings on alternate weeks at the same time on the same zoom channel,
the document for that is https://hackmd.io/68i_JvOYQfy9ERiHgXMPvg.

Re: Opportunities for a NumPy sprint in Japan

ralfgommers

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 12:46 PM David Cournapeau <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 3:41 PM Matti Picus <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 12/3/20 8:14 am, David Cournapeau wrote:

> I will try to join the meeting next week though (where are the info to
> join ?),
>
> David

The next one will be a community meeting on Wed Mar 18, 11am California
time on this zoom channel https://berkeley.zoom.us/j/762261535.

Unfortunately, 11 a.m. pacific time is particularly difficult to make it in Japan (3 a.m. here).

Would it be possible to instead prepare questions beforehand, and manage those asynchronously ?

Definitely. If you want to make a temporary dedicated label for this sprint, please feel free to do that - it's easy to merge back into good-first-issue later (the older good-first-issue ones tend to be a bit polluted).

I am looking for the following:

1. Issues that are good for first timers. Pretty much all of my team has experience in python, and knows the core numpy, and has easy access to both mac and linux. Not many people have experience with C or Cython.

There's few clear cut actionable Python-only issues in core I think - looking at the issues for various modules, I especially recommend `numpy.ma` issues, quite a bit of low hanging fruit there.

2. Doc and issues that require digging: this is good too, my team needs to learn this.

In that context, I can try to do some triaging myself before the 18th march meeting, and get confirmation about the list ?

Sounds good.