Planning for 1.18

With the 1.17 branch coming soon, this might be a good time to make plans about 1.18 development. A couple of possibilities are:

  • Expiring old deprecations,
  • Removing Python 2.7 compatibility code,
  • Design of a masked array replacement.
Those proposals are not earth shaking, I see 1.18 as a chance to let the big changes coming in 1.17 settle down. If you have more ideas, please add them to the list.

Re: Planning for 1.18

Sebastian Berg
On Thu, 2019-06-13 at 19:09 -0600, Charles R Harris wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> With the 1.17 branch coming soon, this might be a good time to make
> plans about 1.18 development. A couple of possibilities are:
>
> Expiring old deprecations,

Good plan.

> Removing Python 2.7 compatibility code,

Sounds good, are we confident enough that Backports should become few
enough, I guess?

> Design of a masked array replacement.

It is a great time for that if anyone wants to pick that up!

> Those proposals are not earth shaking, I see 1.18 as a chance to let
> the big changes coming in 1.17 settle down. If you have more ideas,
> please add them to the list.

The dtypes will move forward. Maybe we have to see how 1.17 goes. I
expect that most users should not notice that much, but it will mean
touching quite a lot of code. I am slightly worried that it collides
with the "settle down" of 1.17 changes.

I may revive oindex/vindex, but that is nothing specific to 1.18 and
should be a safe addition with respect to compatibility/breaking
things.

- Sebastian