Preparation for 1.17.x branch

It's time to look forward to branching 1.17.x and the first rc. Please note of any issues that you think fixing or PRs that should be merged before the first release. It would also help if some folks would review the release notes for completeness. I figure the branch should take place in a week or so.

Re: Preparation for 1.17.x branch

Stephan Hoyer-2
I'd love to get the revisions of NEP-18 finalized. I guess this means we'll need to reach a decision on https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/13305

Charles -- Will you be at the developer meeting in Berkeley this week? This could be a good time to discuss things in person.

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 2:51 PM Charles R Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

It's time to look forward to branching 1.17.x and the first rc. Please note of any issues that you think fixing or PRs that should be merged before the first release. It would also help if some folks would review the release notes for completeness. I figure the branch should take place in a week or so.

Re: Preparation for 1.17.x branch

Charles R Harris

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 4:00 PM Stephan Hoyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd love to get the revisions of NEP-18 finalized. I guess this means we'll need to reach a decision on https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/13305

Charles -- Will you be at the developer meeting in Berkeley this week? This could be a good time to discuss things in person.

Yes, I'll be there.

<snip>

Re: Preparation for 1.17.x branch

ralfgommers

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 1:03 AM Charles R Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 4:00 PM Stephan Hoyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd love to get the revisions of NEP-18 finalized. I guess this means we'll need to reach a decision on https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/13305

Another thing that would be nice to do is have an early beta or release candidate with __array_function__ enabled that stays up for a while (say 3 weeks). And then encourage people to test their code a bit more than we usually do (if it's a pip install --pre away, that's easier to do). At the moment __array_function__ has gotten almost zero testing is my feeling, because it's tricky to enable.

Ralf