Proposal to accept NEP 22: Duck typing for NumPy arrays

Proposal to accept NEP 22: Duck typing for NumPy arrays

Stephan Hoyer-2
I propose to accept NEP-22, "Duck typing for NumPy arrays – high level overview":

This NEP didn't generate much (any?) discussion on the mailing list when Nathaniel and I sent it out a few months ago. But I still think the high-level vision makes sense, and it would be nice to mark this informational NEP as accepted to lay-out a clear vision for how we want to handle "duck arrays".

One nice thing about informational NEPs is that they don't commit us to any particular choices, so marking the NEP as is accepted is relatively low risk :). There are still plenty of details to refine (as we did in NEP-18), but we can take our time on that.

Cheers,
Stephan

Re: Proposal to accept NEP 22: Duck typing for NumPy arrays

Marten van Kerkwijk
I read the NEP again and think it is a good and useful one (also in discussing why NEP 16 was not a good idea!).  -- Marten

Re: Proposal to accept NEP 22: Duck typing for NumPy arrays

Thomas Caswell
I think the NEP does a very good job of capturing the high-level issue around duck arrays and will serve as a solid base to build future discussions on.

With my Matplotlib and h5py hats on, I like the discussion about how down stream projects need to work out their issues with the support of the NumPy devs.

Tom