PyData Barcelona this May

Jaime Fernández del Río
There will be a PyData conference in Barcelona this May:

I am planning on attending, and was thinking of maybe proposing to organize a numpy-themed workshop or tutorial.

My personal inclination would be to look at some advanced topic that I know well, like writing gufuncs in Cython, but wouldn't mind doing a more run of the mill thing. Anyone has any thoughts or experiences on what has worked well in similar situations? Any specific topic you always wanted to attend a workshop on, but were afraid to ask?

Alternatively, or on top of the workshop, I could propose to do a talk: talking last year at PyData Madrid about the new indexing was a lot of fun! Thing is, I have been quite disconnected from the project this past year, and can't really think of any worthwhile topic. Is there any message that we as a project would like to get out to the larger community?

And if you are planning on attending, please give me a shout.

Thanks,

Jaime

--
(\__/)
( O.o)

Re: PyData Barcelona this May

Francesc Alted-3
Hola Jaime!

​Writing gufuncs in Cython seems a quite advanced​ topic for a workshop, but an interesting one indeed.  Numba also supports creating gufuncs (http://numba.pydata.org/numba-doc/dev/reference/numpysupported.html), so this perhaps may work as a first approach before going deeper into Cython.

Alternatively, or on top of the workshop, I could propose to do a talk: talking last year at PyData Madrid about the new indexing was a lot of fun! Thing is, I have been quite disconnected from the project this past year, and can't really think of any worthwhile topic. Is there any message that we as a project would like to get out to the larger community?

​Not a message in particular, but perhaps it would be nice talking about the temporaries removal ​in expressions that Julian implemented recently (https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/7997) and that is to be released in 1.13.  It is a really cool (and somewhat scary) patch ;)

And if you are planning on attending, please give me a shout.

​It would be nice to attend and see you again, but unfortunately I am quite swamped.  Will see.​

​Have fun in Barcelona!​

--
Francesc Alted

On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 15:45 +0100, Jaime Fernández del Río wrote:

> There will be a PyData conference in Barcelona this May:
>
> http://pydata.org/barcelona2017/
>
> I am planning on attending, and was thinking of maybe proposing to
> organize a numpy-themed workshop or tutorial.
>
> My personal inclination would be to look at some advanced topic that
> I know well, like writing gufuncs in Cython, but wouldn't mind doing
> a more run of the mill thing. Anyone has any thoughts or experiences
> on what has worked well in similar situations? Any specific topic you
> always wanted to attend a workshop on, but were afraid to ask?
>
> Alternatively, or on top of the workshop, I could propose to do a
> talk: talking last year at PyData Madrid about the new indexing was a
> lot of fun! Thing is, I have been quite disconnected from the project
> this past year, and can't really think of any worthwhile topic. Is
> there any message that we as a project would like to get out to the
> larger community?

Francesc already pointed out the temporary optimization. From what I
remember, my personal highlight would probably be Pauli's work on the
memory overlap detection. Though both are rather passive improvements I
guess (you don't really have to learn them to use them), its very cool!
And if its about highlighting new stuff, these can probably easily fill
a talk.

> And if you are planning on attending, please give me a shout.

Barcelona :). Maybe I should think about it, but probably not.

> Thanks,
>
> Jaime
>
> --
> (\__/)
> ( O.o)
> ( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus
> planes de dominación mundial.

Re: PyData Barcelona this May

Jaime Fernández del Río
Last night I gave a short talk to the PyData Zürich meetup on Julian's temporary elision PR, and Pauli's overlapping memory one. My learnings from that experiment are:
  • there is no way to talk about both things in a 30 minute talk: I barely scraped the surface and ended up needing 25 minutes.
  • many people that use numpy in their daily work don't know what strides are, this was a BIG surprise for me.
Based on that experience, I was thinking that maybe a good topic for a workshop would be NumPy's memory model: views, reshaping, strides, some hints of buffering in the iterator...

And Julian's temporary work lends itself to a very nice talk, more on Python internals than on NumPy, but it's a very cool subject nonetheless.

So my thinking is that I am going to propose those two, as a workshop and a talk. Thoughts?

Jaime

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Sebastian Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 15:45 +0100, Jaime Fernández del Río wrote:
> There will be a PyData conference in Barcelona this May:
>
> http://pydata.org/barcelona2017/
>
> I am planning on attending, and was thinking of maybe proposing to
> organize a numpy-themed workshop or tutorial.
>
> My personal inclination would be to look at some advanced topic that
> I know well, like writing gufuncs in Cython, but wouldn't mind doing
> a more run of the mill thing. Anyone has any thoughts or experiences
> on what has worked well in similar situations? Any specific topic you
> always wanted to attend a workshop on, but were afraid to ask?
>
> Alternatively, or on top of the workshop, I could propose to do a
> talk: talking last year at PyData Madrid about the new indexing was a
> lot of fun! Thing is, I have been quite disconnected from the project
> this past year, and can't really think of any worthwhile topic. Is
> there any message that we as a project would like to get out to the
> larger community?

Francesc already pointed out the temporary optimization. From what I
remember, my personal highlight would probably be Pauli's work on the
memory overlap detection. Though both are rather passive improvements I
guess (you don't really have to learn them to use them), its very cool!
And if its about highlighting new stuff, these can probably easily fill
a talk.

> And if you are planning on attending, please give me a shout.

Barcelona :). Maybe I should think about it, but probably not.

> Thanks,
>
> Jaime
>
> --
> (\__/)
> ( O.o)
> ( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus
> planes de dominación mundial.

(\__/)
( O.o)
( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus planes de dominación mundial.

Re: PyData Barcelona this May

Francesc Alted-3

Last night I gave a short talk to the PyData Zürich meetup on Julian's temporary elision PR, and Pauli's overlapping memory one. My learnings from that experiment are:
  • there is no way to talk about both things in a 30 minute talk: I barely scraped the surface and ended up needing 25 minutes.
  • many people that use numpy in their daily work don't know what strides are, this was a BIG surprise for me.
Based on that experience, I was thinking that maybe a good topic for a workshop would be NumPy's memory model: views, reshaping, strides, some hints of buffering in the iterator...

​Yeah, I think that workshop would represent a very valuable insight to many people using NumPy​.

And Julian's temporary work lends itself to a very nice talk, more on Python internals than on NumPy, but it's a very cool subject nonetheless.

So my thinking is that I am going to propose those two, as a workshop and a talk. Thoughts?

​+1​

Jaime

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Sebastian Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 15:45 +0100, Jaime Fernández del Río wrote:
> There will be a PyData conference in Barcelona this May:
>
> http://pydata.org/barcelona2017/
>
> I am planning on attending, and was thinking of maybe proposing to
> organize a numpy-themed workshop or tutorial.
>
> My personal inclination would be to look at some advanced topic that
> I know well, like writing gufuncs in Cython, but wouldn't mind doing
> a more run of the mill thing. Anyone has any thoughts or experiences
> on what has worked well in similar situations? Any specific topic you
> always wanted to attend a workshop on, but were afraid to ask?
>
> Alternatively, or on top of the workshop, I could propose to do a
> talk: talking last year at PyData Madrid about the new indexing was a
> lot of fun! Thing is, I have been quite disconnected from the project
> this past year, and can't really think of any worthwhile topic. Is
> there any message that we as a project would like to get out to the
> larger community?

Francesc already pointed out the temporary optimization. From what I
remember, my personal highlight would probably be Pauli's work on the
memory overlap detection. Though both are rather passive improvements I
guess (you don't really have to learn them to use them), its very cool!
And if its about highlighting new stuff, these can probably easily fill
a talk.

> And if you are planning on attending, please give me a shout.

Barcelona :). Maybe I should think about it, but probably not.

> Thanks,
>
> Jaime
>
> --
> (\__/)
> ( O.o)
> ( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus
> planes de dominación mundial.

(\__/)
( O.o)
( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus planes de dominación mundial.

Francesc Alted

Re: PyData Barcelona this May

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 4:37 AM, Jaime Fernández del Río <[hidden email]> wrote:
  • many people that use numpy in their daily work don't know what strides are, this was a BIG surprise for me.
Based on that experience, I was thinking that maybe a good topic for a workshop would be NumPy's memory model: views, reshaping, strides, some hints of buffering in the iterator...

I think this is a great idea. In fact, when I do an intro to numpy, I spend a bit of time on those issues, 'cause I think it's key to "Getting" numpy, and not something that people end up learning on their own from tutorials, etc. However, in my  case, I try to jam it into a low-level intro, and I think that fails :-(

So doing it on it's own with the assumption that participant already know the basics of the high level python interface is a great idea.

Maybe a "advanced" numpy tutorial for SciPy 2017 in Austin also???

Here is my last talk -- maybe it'll be helpful.

the strides stuff is covered in a notebook here:

other notebooks here:

and the source for the whole thing is here:

All licensed under: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike -- so please use anything you find useful.

-CHB

And Julian's temporary work lends itself to a very nice talk, more on Python internals than on NumPy, but it's a very cool subject nonetheless.

So my thinking is that I am going to propose those two, as a workshop and a talk. Thoughts?

Jaime

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Sebastian Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 15:45 +0100, Jaime Fernández del Río wrote:
> There will be a PyData conference in Barcelona this May:
>
> http://pydata.org/barcelona2017/
>
> I am planning on attending, and was thinking of maybe proposing to
> organize a numpy-themed workshop or tutorial.
>
> My personal inclination would be to look at some advanced topic that
> I know well, like writing gufuncs in Cython, but wouldn't mind doing
> a more run of the mill thing. Anyone has any thoughts or experiences
> on what has worked well in similar situations? Any specific topic you
> always wanted to attend a workshop on, but were afraid to ask?
>
> Alternatively, or on top of the workshop, I could propose to do a
> talk: talking last year at PyData Madrid about the new indexing was a
> lot of fun! Thing is, I have been quite disconnected from the project
> this past year, and can't really think of any worthwhile topic. Is
> there any message that we as a project would like to get out to the
> larger community?

Francesc already pointed out the temporary optimization. From what I
remember, my personal highlight would probably be Pauli's work on the
memory overlap detection. Though both are rather passive improvements I
guess (you don't really have to learn them to use them), its very cool!
And if its about highlighting new stuff, these can probably easily fill
a talk.

> And if you are planning on attending, please give me a shout.

Barcelona :). Maybe I should think about it, but probably not.

> Thanks,
>
> Jaime
>
> --
> (\__/)
> ( O.o)
> ( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus
> planes de dominación mundial.

(\__/)
( O.o)
( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus planes de dominación mundial.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Re: PyData Barcelona this May

ralfgommers

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 8:41 AM, Chris Barker <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 4:37 AM, Jaime Fernández del Río <[hidden email]> wrote:
  • many people that use numpy in their daily work don't know what strides are, this was a BIG surprise for me.
I'm not surprised at all. To start with, the majority of users are self-taught programmers that never used something lower level than Python or Matlab. Even talking to them about memory layout presents challenges.

Based on that experience, I was thinking that maybe a good topic for a workshop would be NumPy's memory model: views, reshaping, strides, some hints of buffering in the iterator...

This material has been used multiple times in EuroScipy tutorials and may be of use: http://www.scipy-lectures.org/advanced/advanced_numpy/index.html

Ralf

> [...]

memory overlap detection. Though both are rather passive improvements I
guess (you don't really have to learn them to use them), its very cool!
And if its about highlighting new stuff, these can probably easily fill
a talk.

> And if you are planning on attending, please give me a shout.

Barcelona :). Maybe I should think about it, but probably not.

> Thanks,
>
> Jaime
>
> --
> (\__/)
> ( O.o)
> ( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus
> planes de dominación mundial.

(\__/)
( O.o)
( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus planes de dominación mundial.

NOAA/NOS/OR&R            <a href="tel:%28206%29%20526-6959" value="+12065266959" target="_blank">(206) 526-6959   voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE   <a href="tel:%28206%29%20526-6329" value="+12065266329" target="_blank">(206) 526-6329   fax
Seattle, WA  98115       <a href="tel:%28206%29%20526-6317" value="+12065266317" target="_blank">(206) 526-6317   main reception

Re: PyData Barcelona this May

Jaime Fernández del Río
Thanks for the links, Chris and Ralf, will be very helpful eventually. I have just submitted a workshop proposal with the following short description:

Taking NumPy In Stride
This workshop is aimed at users already familiar with NumPy. We will dissect
the NumPy memory model with the help of a very powerful abstraction: strides.
Participants will learn how to create different views out of the same data,
including multidimensional ones, get a new angle on how and why broadcasting
works, and explore related techniques to write faster, more efficient code.

Let's see what the organizers think of it...

Jaime

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Jaime Fernández del Río <[hidden email]> wrote:
 I have just submitted a workshop proposal with the following short description:

Taking NumPy In Stride
This workshop is aimed at users already familiar with NumPy. We will dissect
the NumPy memory model with the help of a very powerful abstraction: strides.
Participants will learn how to create different views out of the same data,
including multidimensional ones, get a new angle on how and why broadcasting
works, and explore related techniques to write faster, more efficient code.

I'd go!

And nice title :-)

Any thoughts on a similar one for SciPy in Austin?

-CHB

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 10:13 PM, Chris Barker <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Jaime Fernández del Río <[hidden email]> wrote:
 I have just submitted a workshop proposal with the following short description:

Taking NumPy In Stride
This workshop is aimed at users already familiar with NumPy. We will dissect
the NumPy memory model with the help of a very powerful abstraction: strides.
Participants will learn how to create different views out of the same data,
including multidimensional ones, get a new angle on how and why broadcasting
works, and explore related techniques to write faster, more efficient code.

I'd go!

And nice title :-)

Any thoughts on a similar one for SciPy in Austin?

I'll be more than happy to share presentations, notebooks and whatnot with someone wanting to run the tutorial over there. But Austin is a looong way from Zürich, and the dates conflict with my son's birthday, so I don't think I will be going...

Jaime

-CHB

> [...]

> planes de dominación mundial.

(\__/)
( O.o)
( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus planes de dominación mundial.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
NOAA/NOS/OR&R            <a href="tel:%28206%29%20526-6959" value="+12065266959" target="_blank">(206) 526-6959   voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE   <a href="tel:%28206%29%20526-6329" value="+12065266329" target="_blank">(206) 526-6329   fax
Seattle, WA  98115       <a href="tel:%28206%29%20526-6317" value="+12065266317" target="_blank">(206) 526-6317   main reception

(\__/)
( O.o)
( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus planes de dominación mundial.

NOAA/NOS/OR&R            <a href="tel:(206)%20526-6959" value="+12065266959" target="_blank">(206) 526-6959   voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE   <a href="tel:(206)%20526-6329" value="+12065266329" target="_blank">(206) 526-6329   fax
Seattle, WA  98115       <a href="tel:(206)%20526-6317" value="+12065266317" target="_blank">(206) 526-6317   main reception

(\__/)
( O.o)
( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus planes de dominación mundial.

Re: PyData Barcelona this May

Marten van Kerkwijk
"Taking numpy in stride, and the essential role of 0" ;-)

-- Marten

Re: PyData Barcelona this May

Daπid
On 20 March 2017 at 19:58, Jaime Fernández del Río <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Taking NumPy In Stride
> This workshop is aimed at users already familiar with NumPy. We will dissect
> the NumPy memory model with the help of a very powerful abstraction:
> strides.
> Participants will learn how to create different views out of the same data,
> including multidimensional ones, get a new angle on how and why broadcasting
> works, and explore related techniques to write faster, more efficient code.

I think I only understand this abstract because I know what views are.
Maybe you could add a line explaining what they are? (I cannot think
of one myself).

Re: PyData Barcelona this May

Jaime Fernández del Río
Thanks for the suggestion!

That abstract is limited to 400 characters, and it's already at 350+, so there isn't much room left.
If it gets accepted I will eventually need to fill out an extended abstract, where I will make sure to explain that better.

Jaime