Python 3.9 is out.

The subject says it all.

Re: Python 3.9 is out.

Tom Augspurger-2
I believe that the latest version of NumPy (1.19.2) is source-compatible with Python 3.9. Does NumPy plan to upload wheels to PyPI for Python 3.9, or will you wait for the next release?

Pandas is planning to upload wheels for 3.9 with our latest released version (1.1.3) but are planning to build against a version of NumPy with a wheel that's uploaded to PyPI.

Thanks,

Tom

On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 6:26 PM Charles R Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

The subject says it all.

Re: Python 3.9 is out.

Charles R Harris

On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 7:58 PM Tom Augspurger <[hidden email]> wrote:
I believe that the latest version of NumPy (1.19.2) is source-compatible with Python 3.9. Does NumPy plan to upload wheels to PyPI for Python 3.9, or will you wait for the next release?

Pandas is planning to upload wheels for 3.9 with our latest released version (1.1.3) but are planning to build against a version of NumPy with a wheel that's uploaded to PyPI.

I'll put out a 19.3 release with Python 3.9 wheels as soon as we are able to build the wheels on azure. We may need to do the Python install ourselves. I'd also like to fix the Windows 2004 problem, but that may have to wait for 1.19.4 if Microsoft doesn't fix it first. I'm also thinking of only providing manylinux2014 wheels for 3.9 as it comes with a recent pip version.

Re: Python 3.9 is out.

Charles R Harris

Looks like 3.9 should be available on azure next week:  https://github.com/actions/virtual-environments/issues/1740. It is already available through GitHub Actions, but I think we can wait a week. I think it still needs to be added/built for the manylinux docker images.