Re: NumPy v1.13.0rc1 released.

Nathan Goldbaum
Hi Chuck,

Is there a docs build for this release somewhere? I'd like to find an authoritative reference about __array_ufunc__, which I'd hesistated on looking into until now for fear about the API changing.

Nathan

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 8:49 PM Charles R Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

I'm please to announce the NumPy 1.13.0rc1 release. This release supports Python 2.7 and 3.4-3.6 and contains many new features. It is one of the most ambitious releases in the last several years. Some of the highlights and new functions are

Highlights
  • Operations like ``a + b + c`` will reuse temporaries on some platforms, resulting in less memory use and faster execution.
  • Inplace operations check if inputs overlap outputs and create temporaries to avoid problems.
  • New __array_ufunc__ attribute provides improved ability for classes to override default ufunc behavior.
  •  New np.block function for creating blocked arrays.

New functions
  • New ``np.positive`` ufunc.
  • New ``np.divmod`` ufunc provides more efficient divmod.
  • New ``np.isnat`` ufunc tests for NaT special values.
  • New ``np.heaviside`` ufunc computes the Heaviside function.
  • New ``np.isin`` function, improves on ``in1d``.
  • New ``np.block`` function for creating blocked arrays.
  • New ``PyArray_MapIterArrayCopyIfOverlap`` added to NumPy C-API.
Wheels for the pre-release are available on PyPI. Source tarballs, zipfiles, release notes, and the Changelog are available on github.

A total of 100 people contributed to this release.  People with a "+" by their
names contributed a patch for the first time.
  • A. Jesse Jiryu Davis +
  • Alessandro Pietro Bardelli +
  • Alex Rothberg +
  • Alexander Shadchin
  • Allan Haldane
  • Andres Guzman-Ballen +
  • Antoine Pitrou
  • Antony Lee
  • B R S Recht +
  • Baurzhan Muftakhidinov +
  • Ben Rowland
  • Benda Xu +
  • Blake Griffith
  • Bradley Wogsland +
  • Brandon Carter +
  • CJ Carey
  • Charles Harris
  • Danny Hermes +
  • Duke Vijitbenjaronk +
  • Egor Klenin +
  • Elliott Forney +
  • Elliott M Forney +
  • Endolith
  • Eric Wieser
  • Erik M. Bray
  • Eugene +
  • Evan Limanto +
  • Felix Berkenkamp +
  • François Bissey +
  • Frederic Bastien
  • Greg Young
  • Gregory R. Lee
  • Importance of Being Ernest +
  • Jaime Fernandez
  • Jakub Wilk +
  • James Cowgill +
  • James Sanders
  • Jean Utke +
  • Jesse Thoren +
  • Jim Crist +
  • Joerg Behrmann +
  • John Kirkham
  • Jonathan Helmus
  • Jonathan L Long
  • Jonathan Tammo Siebert +
  • Joseph Fox-Rabinovitz
  • Joshua Loyal +
  • Juan Nunez-Iglesias +
  • Julian Taylor
  • Kirill Balunov +
  • Likhith Chitneni +
  • Loïc Estève
  • Mads Ohm Larsen
  • Marein Könings +
  • Marten van Kerkwijk
  • Martin Thoma
  • Martino Sorbaro +
  • Marvin Schmidt +
  • Matthew Brett
  • Matthias Bussonnier +
  • Matthias C. M. Troffaes +
  • Matti Picus
  • Michael Seifert
  • Mikhail Pak +
  • Mortada Mehyar
  • Nathaniel J. Smith
  • Nick Papior
  • Oscar Villellas +
  • Pauli Virtanen
  • Pavel Potocek
  • Pete Peeradej Tanruangporn +
  • Philipp A +
  • Ralf Gommers
  • Robert Kern
  • Roland Kaufmann +
  • Ronan Lamy
  • Sami Salonen +
  • Sanchez Gonzalez Alvaro
  • Sebastian Berg
  • Shota Kawabuchi
  • Simon Gibbons
  • Stefan Otte
  • Stefan Peterson +
  • Stephan Hoyer
  • Søren Fuglede Jørgensen +
  • Takuya Akiba
  • Tom Boyd +
  • Ville Skyttä +
  • Warren Weckesser
  • Wendell Smith
  • Yu Feng
  • Zixu Zhao +
  • Zè Vinícius +
  • aha66 +
  • davidjn +
  • drabach +
  • drlvk +
  • jsh9 +
  • solarjoe +
  • zengi +

Re: NumPy v1.13.0rc1 released.

Daniel Sank
+1

I've been looking for docs on __array_ufunc__ for about ten minutes...

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 7:06 PM, Nathan Goldbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Eric Wieser
Nadav: Can you provide a testcase that fails?

I don't think you're correct - it works just fine when `axis = a.ndims` - the issue arises when `axis > a.ndims`, but I'd argue that in that case an error is correct behaviour. But still a change, so perhaps needs a release note entry

On Thu, 11 May 2017 at 14:25 Nadav Horesh <[hidden email]> wrote:

There is a change to "expand_dims" function, that it is now does not allow axis = a.ndims.

This influences matplotlib function get_bending_matrices in triinterpolate.py

  Nadav

Re: NumPy v1.13.0rc1 released.

Marten van Kerkwijk
Hi All,

Do indeed try __array_ufunc__! It should make many things work much
better and possibly faster than was possible with __array_prepare__
and __array_wrap__ (for astropy's Quantity, an ndarray subclass than I
maintain, it gets us a factor of almost 2 in speed for operations
where scaling for units is needed; for array-like classes, it should
enable things that were nearlyimpossible before).

About documentation, I'm not quite sure how to get the documentation
on scipy.docs.org to update (the developer version points points to
1.13dev0 and is last updated in January). Beyond the links Nathaniel
sent, there is also one more specifically aimed at subclasses:

 https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/master/numpy/doc/subclassing.py

As noted, the API is provisional, which I hope it all the more reason
to try it out if you think this could be useful -- and do let us know
on github what works and what doesn't [e.g., there is a lively
discussion on whether `ndarray` having its own `__array_ufunc__` for
subclasses to super to is in fact a good idea -- for Quantity, I find
it quite convenient (but then I implemented it...), but perhaps it is
too confusing.  See

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/9079

All the best,

Marten