Remove sctypeNA and typeNA from numpy core

Remove sctypeNA and typeNA from numpy core

mattip
numpy.core has many ways to catalogue dtype names: sctypeDict, typeDict
(which is precisely sctypeDict), typecodes, and typename. We also
generate sctypeNA and typeNA but, as issue 11241 shows, it is sometimes
wrong. They are also not documented and never used inside numpy. Instead
of fixing it, I propose to remove sctypeNA and typeNA.

Any thoughts or objections?

Re: Remove sctypeNA and typeNA from numpy core

mattip
On 21/06/18 09:25, Matti Picus wrote:
> numpy.core has many ways to catalogue dtype names: sctypeDict,
> typeDict (which is precisely sctypeDict), typecodes, and typename. We
> also generate sctypeNA and typeNA but, as issue 11241 shows, it is
> sometimes wrong. They are also not documented and never used inside
> numpy. Instead of fixing it, I propose to remove sctypeNA and typeNA.
>
> Any thoughts or objections?
> Matti
Whoops  11340 (not 11241) which has been merged.

On Thu, 2018-06-21 at 09:25 -0700, Matti Picus wrote:
> numpy.core has many ways to catalogue dtype names: sctypeDict,
> typeDict
> (which is precisely sctypeDict), typecodes, and typename. We also
> generate sctypeNA and typeNA but, as issue 11241 shows, it is
> sometimes
> wrong. They are also not documented and never used inside numpy.
> Instead
> of fixing it, I propose to remove sctypeNA and typeNA.

Sounds like a good idea, we have too much stuff in there, and this one
is not even useful (I bet the NA is for the missing value support that
never happened).

Might be good to do a quick deprecation anyway though, mostly out of
principle.

- Sebastian

> Any thoughts or objections?
> Matti

Re: Remove sctypeNA and typeNA from numpy core

Eric Wieser
I bet the NA is for the missing value support thatnever happened

Nope - NA stands for NumArray

Eric