Scipy 2017 NumPy sprint

I will be running the NumPy sprint at Scipy 2017 and I'm trying to put together a suitable list of things to sprint on. In my experience, sprinting on NumPy is hard, enhancements generally need lengthy review and even finding and doing simple bug fixes can take time. What I have in mind at this point, apart from what might be a getting started tutorial, could mostly be classified as janitorial work.

  1.  Triage issues and close those that no longer apply. This is mind numbing work, but it has been almost three years since the last pass.
  2.  Move the contents of `numpy/doc` into `doc/source` and make them normal *.rst files.
  3.  Convert the doctest in `numpy/lib/tests/test_polynomial.py` to regular tests. Might be tricky as it mostly checks print formatting.

Re: Scipy 2017 NumPy sprint

Charles R Harris

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Charles R Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

I will be running the NumPy sprint at Scipy 2017 and I'm trying to put together a suitable list of things to sprint on. In my experience, sprinting on NumPy is hard, enhancements generally need lengthy review and even finding and doing simple bug fixes can take time. What I have in mind at this point, apart from what might be a getting started tutorial, could mostly be classified as janitorial work.

  1.  Triage issues and close those that no longer apply. This is mind numbing work, but it has been almost three years since the last pass.
  2.  Move the contents of `numpy/doc` into `doc/source` and make them normal *.rst files.
  3.  Convert the doctest in `numpy/lib/tests/test_polynomial.py` to regular tests. Might be tricky as it mostly checks print formatting.

Oops, sent prematurely by accident.

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions and comments as to things to do that would be useful.

Re: Scipy 2017 NumPy sprint

Stefan van der Walt
On Thu, Jun 29, 2017, at 11:09, Charles R Harris wrote:

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Charles R Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
I will be running the NumPy sprint at Scipy 2017 and I'm trying to put together a suitable list of things to sprint on. In my experience, sprinting on NumPy is hard, enhancements generally need lengthy review and even finding and doing simple bug fixes can take time. What I have in mind at this point, apart from what might be a getting started tutorial, could mostly be classified as janitorial work.

Here's a random idea: how about building a NumPy gallery?  scikit-{image,learn} has it, and while those projects may have more visual datasets, I can imagine something along the lines of Nicolas Rougier's beautiful book:

Re: Scipy 2017 NumPy sprint

Charles R Harris

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 12:15 PM, Stefan van der Walt <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 29, 2017, at 11:09, Charles R Harris wrote:

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Charles R Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
I will be running the NumPy sprint at Scipy 2017 and I'm trying to put together a suitable list of things to sprint on. In my experience, sprinting on NumPy is hard, enhancements generally need lengthy review and even finding and doing simple bug fixes can take time. What I have in mind at this point, apart from what might be a getting started tutorial, could mostly be classified as janitorial work.

Here's a random idea: how about building a NumPy gallery?  scikit-{image,learn} has it, and while those projects may have more visual datasets, I can imagine something along the lines of Nicolas Rougier's beautiful book:

So that would be added in the  numpy/numpy.org repo?

Re: Scipy 2017 NumPy sprint

Pauli Virtanen-3
Charles R Harris kirjoitti 29.06.2017 klo 20:45:

>     Here's a random idea: how about building a NumPy gallery?
>     scikit-{image,learn} has it, and while those projects may have more
>     visual datasets, I can imagine something along the lines of Nicolas
>     Rougier's beautiful book:
>
>     http://www.labri.fr/perso/nrougier/from-python-to-numpy/
>     <http://www.labri.fr/perso/nrougier/from-python-to-numpy/>
>

> So that would be added in the  numpy
> <https://github.com/numpy>/numpy.org
> <https://github.com/numpy/numpy.org> repo?

Or https://scipy-cookbook.readthedocs.io/  ?
(maybe minus bitrot and images added :)

Re: Scipy 2017 NumPy sprint

Evgeni Burovski

<snip>
>  Convert the doctest in `numpy/lib/tests/test_polynomial.py` to regular tests. Might be tricky as it mostly checks print formatting.

Port scipy's refguide-check and enhance/fix/improve code examples in docstrings?
Also somewhat janitorial though.

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 6:50 AM, Pauli Virtanen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Charles R Harris kirjoitti 29.06.2017 klo 20:45:
>     Here's a random idea: how about building a NumPy gallery?
>     scikit-{image,learn} has it, and while those projects may have more
>     visual datasets, I can imagine something along the lines of Nicolas
>     Rougier's beautiful book:
>
>     http://www.labri.fr/perso/nrougier/from-python-to-numpy/
>     <http://www.labri.fr/perso/nrougier/from-python-to-numpy/>
>

> So that would be added in the  numpy
> <https://github.com/numpy>/numpy.org
> <https://github.com/numpy/numpy.org> repo?

Or https://scipy-cookbook.readthedocs.io/  ?
(maybe minus bitrot and images added :)
_____________________________________

I'd like the numpy.org one. numpy.org is now incredibly sparse and ugly, a gallery would make it look a lot better.

Another idea, from the "deprecate np.matrix" discussion: add numpy documentation describing the preferred way to handle matrices, extolling the virtues of @, and move np.matrix documentation to a deprecated section.

Re: Scipy 2017 NumPy sprint

Benjamin Root
Just a heads-up. There is now a sphinx-gallery plugin. Matplotlib and a few other projects have migrated their docs over to use it.

https://sphinx-gallery.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Cheers!
Ben Root

On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 7:12 AM, Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 6:50 AM, Pauli Virtanen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Charles R Harris kirjoitti 29.06.2017 klo 20:45:
>     Here's a random idea: how about building a NumPy gallery?
>     scikit-{image,learn} has it, and while those projects may have more
>     visual datasets, I can imagine something along the lines of Nicolas
>     Rougier's beautiful book:
>
>     http://www.labri.fr/perso/nrougier/from-python-to-numpy/
>     <http://www.labri.fr/perso/nrougier/from-python-to-numpy/>
>

> So that would be added in the  numpy
> <https://github.com/numpy>/numpy.org
> <https://github.com/numpy/numpy.org> repo?

Or https://scipy-cookbook.readthedocs.io/  ?
(maybe minus bitrot and images added :)
_____________________________________

I'd like the numpy.org one. numpy.org is now incredibly sparse and ugly, a gallery would make it look a lot better.

Another idea, from the "deprecate np.matrix" discussion: add numpy documentation describing the preferred way to handle matrices, extolling the virtues of @, and move np.matrix documentation to a deprecated section.

Re: Scipy 2017 NumPy sprint

Charles R Harris
Updated list below.

On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 7:08 PM, Benjamin Root <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just a heads-up. There is now a sphinx-gallery plugin. Matplotlib and a few other projects have migrated their docs over to use it.

https://sphinx-gallery.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Cheers!
Ben Root

On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 7:12 AM, Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 6:50 AM, Pauli Virtanen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Charles R Harris kirjoitti 29.06.2017 klo 20:45:
>     Here's a random idea: how about building a NumPy gallery?
>     scikit-{image,learn} has it, and while those projects may have more
>     visual datasets, I can imagine something along the lines of Nicolas
>     Rougier's beautiful book:
>
>     http://www.labri.fr/perso/nrougier/from-python-to-numpy/
>     <http://www.labri.fr/perso/nrougier/from-python-to-numpy/>
>

> So that would be added in the  numpy
> <https://github.com/numpy>/numpy.org
> <https://github.com/numpy/numpy.org> repo?

Or https://scipy-cookbook.readthedocs.io/  ?
(maybe minus bitrot and images added :)
_____________________________________

I'd like the numpy.org one. numpy.org is now incredibly sparse and ugly, a gallery would make it look a lot better.

Another idea, from the "deprecate np.matrix" discussion: add numpy documentation describing the preferred way to handle matrices, extolling the virtues of @, and move np.matrix documentation to a deprecated section.

 Putting things together with a few new ideas,

  1. add gallery to numpy.org,
  2. add extended documentation of '@' operator,
  3. make Numpy tests Pytest compatible,
  4. add matrix multiplication ufunc.
 Any more ideas?

Re: Scipy 2017 NumPy sprint

Allan Haldane
On 07/02/2017 10:03 AM, Charles R Harris wrote:

> Updated list below.
>
> On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 7:08 PM, Benjamin Root <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Just a heads-up. There is now a sphinx-gallery plugin. Matplotlib
>     and a few other projects have migrated their docs over to use it.
>
>     https://sphinx-gallery.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
>     <https://sphinx-gallery.readthedocs.io/en/latest/>
>
>     Cheers!
>     Ben Root
>

>     On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 7:12 AM, Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>         On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 6:50 AM, Pauli Virtanen <[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>             Charles R Harris kirjoitti 29.06.2017 klo 20:45:
>             >     Here's a random idea: how about building a NumPy gallery?
>             >     scikit-{image,learn} has it, and while those projects may have more
>             >     visual datasets, I can imagine something along the lines of Nicolas
>             >     Rougier's beautiful book:
>             >
>             >     http://www.labri.fr/perso/nrougier/from-python-to-numpy/
>             <http://www.labri.fr/perso/nrougier/from-python-to-numpy/>
>             >     <http://www.labri.fr/perso/nrougier/from-python-to-numpy/
>             <http://www.labri.fr/perso/nrougier/from-python-to-numpy/>>
>             >
>             >
>             > So that would be added in the  numpy
>             > <https://github.com/numpy>/numpy.org <http://numpy.org>
>             > <https://github.com/numpy/numpy.org
>             <https://github.com/numpy/numpy.org>> repo?
>
>             Or https://scipy-cookbook.readthedocs.io/
>             <https://scipy-cookbook.readthedocs.io/>  ?
>             (maybe minus bitrot and images added :)
>             _____________________________________
>

>         I'd like the numpy.org <http://numpy.org> one. numpy.org
>         <http://numpy.org> is now incredibly sparse and ugly, a gallery
>         would make it look a lot better.
>
>         Another idea, from the "deprecate np.matrix" discussion: add
>         numpy documentation describing the preferred way to handle
>         matrices, extolling the virtues of @, and move np.matrix
>         documentation to a deprecated section.
>

>   Putting things together with a few new ideas,
>
>  1. add gallery to numpy.org <http://numpy.org>,
>  2. add extended documentation of '@' operator,
>  3. make Numpy tests Pytest compatible,
>  4. add matrix multiplication ufunc.
>
>   Any more ideas?

The new doctest runner suggested in the printing thread? This is to
ignore whitespace and precision in ndarray output.

I can see an argument for distributing it in numpy if it is designed to
be specially aware of ndarrays or numpy scalars (eg to test equality
between 'wants' and 'got')

Allan

> Chuck

Re: Scipy 2017 NumPy sprint

Sebastian Berg
On Sun, 2017-07-02 at 10:49 -0400, Allan Haldane wrote:

> [...]
> > gallery
> >         would make it look a lot better.
> >
> >         Another idea, from the "deprecate np.matrix" discussion:
> > add
> >         numpy documentation describing the preferred way to handle
> >         matrices, extolling the virtues of @, and move np.matrix
> >         documentation to a deprecated section.
> >

> >   Putting things together with a few new ideas,
> >
> >  1. add gallery to numpy.org <http://numpy.org>,
> >  2. add extended documentation of '@' operator,
> >  3. make Numpy tests Pytest compatible,
> >  4. add matrix multiplication ufunc.
> >
> >   Any more ideas?
>
> The new doctest runner suggested in the printing thread? This is to
> ignore whitespace and precision in ndarray output.
>
> I can see an argument for distributing it in numpy if it is designed
> be specially aware of ndarrays or numpy scalars (eg to test equality

I don't really feel it is very numpy specific or should be under the
numpy umbrella (I mean if there is no other spot, I guess it could live
on the numpy github page). Its about as numpy specific, as the gallery
sphinx extension is probably matplotlib specific....

That doesn't mean that it might not be a good sprint, though :).

The question to me is a bit what those who actually go there want from
it or do a few people who know numpy/scipy already plan to come? Two
years ago, we did not have much of a plan, so it was mostly giving
three people or so a bit of a tutorial of how numpy worked internally
leading to some bug fixes.

One quick idea that might be nice and dives a bit into the C-layer
(might be nice if there is no big topic with a few people working on):

* Find places that should have the new memory overlap
  detection and implement it there.

If someone who does subclasses/array-likes or so (e.g. like Stefan
Hoyer ;)) and is interested, and also we do some
teleconferencing/chatting (and I have time).... I might be interested
in discussing and possibly trying to develop the new indexer ideas,
which I feel are pretty far, but I got stuck on how to get subclasses
right.

- Sebastian

> Allan
>

> > Chuck

Re: Scipy 2017 NumPy sprint

Charles R Harris

On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Sebastian Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

The question to me is a bit what those who actually go there want from
it or do a few people who know numpy/scipy already plan to come? Two
years ago, we did not have much of a plan, so it was mostly giving
three people or so a bit of a tutorial of how numpy worked internally
leading to some bug fixes.

One quick idea that might be nice and dives a bit into the C-layer
(might be nice if there is no big topic with a few people working on):

* Find places that should have the new memory overlap
  detection and implement it there.

If someone who does subclasses/array-likes or so (e.g. like Stefan
Hoyer ;)) and is interested, and also we do some
teleconferencing/chatting (and I have time).... I might be interested
in discussing and possibly trying to develop the new indexer ideas,
which I feel are pretty far, but I got stuck on how to get subclasses

I've opened an issue for Pytests and given it a "Scipy2017 Sprint" label. I'd be much obliged if the folks with suggestions here would open other issues and also label them with "Scipy2017 Sprint". Note that these issues are not Scipy 2017 specific, they could be used in other contexts, but I thought is might be useful to collect them in one spot and give them some structure together with suggestions on how to proceed.

Ralf, you have made several previous suggestion on bringing over some to the scipy tests to numpy, to include documentation testing. Were there any other tests we should look into?

Re: Scipy 2017 NumPy sprint

On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 8:33 AM Sebastian Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:
If someone who does subclasses/array-likes or so (e.g. like Stefan
Hoyer ;)) and is interested, and also we do some
teleconferencing/chatting (and I have time).... I might be interested
in discussing and possibly trying to develop the new indexer ideas,
which I feel are pretty far, but I got stuck on how to get subclasses
right.

I am off course very happy to discuss this (online or via teleconference, sadly I won't be at scipy), but to be clear I use array likes, not subclasses. I think Marten van Kerkwijk is the last one who thinks that is still a good idea :).

Re: Scipy 2017 NumPy sprint

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 7:01 AM, Charles R Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

in discussing and possibly trying to develop the new indexer ideas,
which I feel are pretty far, but I got stuck on how to get subclasses
right.

- Sebastian

I've opened an issue for Pytests and given it a "Scipy2017 Sprint" label. I'd be much obliged if the folks with suggestions here would open other issues and also label them with "Scipy2017 Sprint". Note that these issues are not Scipy 2017 specific, they could be used in other contexts, but I thought is might be useful to collect them in one spot and give them some structure together with suggestions on how to proceed.

Ralf, you have made several previous suggestion on bringing over some to the scipy tests to numpy, to include documentation testing. Were there any other tests we should look into?

Better platform test coverage would be a useful topic if someone is willing to work on that. NumPy needs OS X testing enabled on TravisCI, SciPy needs OS X and a 32-bit test (steal from NumPy). And if someone really feels ambitious: replace ATLAS by OpenBLAS in one of the test matrix entries.

Re: Scipy 2017 NumPy sprint

Peter Cock
Note that TravisCI does not yet have official Python support on Mac OS X,

https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/2312

I believe it is possible to do anyway by faking it under another setting
(e.g. pretend to be a generic language build, and use the system Python
or install your own specific version of Python as needed), so that may be
worth trying during a sprint.

Peter

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 10:43 AM, Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Better platform test coverage would be a useful topic if someone is willing
> to work on that. NumPy needs OS X testing enabled on TravisCI, SciPy needs
> OS X and a 32-bit test (steal from NumPy). And if someone really feels
> ambitious: replace ATLAS by OpenBLAS in one of the test matrix entries.
>
> Ralf

Re: Scipy 2017 NumPy sprint

ralfgommers

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 10:14 PM, Peter Cock <[hidden email]> wrote:
Note that TravisCI does not yet have official Python support on Mac OS X,

https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/2312

I believe it is possible to do anyway by faking it under another setting
(e.g. pretend to be a generic language build, and use the system Python
or install your own specific version of Python as needed), so that may be
worth trying during a sprint.

That approach has worked reliably for https://github.com/MacPython/numpy-wheels for a while now, so should be straightforward.

Ralf

Peter

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 10:43 AM, Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Better platform test coverage would be a useful topic if someone is willing
> to work on that. NumPy needs OS X testing enabled on TravisCI, SciPy needs
> OS X and a 32-bit test (steal from NumPy). And if someone really feels
> ambitious: replace ATLAS by OpenBLAS in one of the test matrix entries.
>
> Ralf

Re: Scipy 2017 NumPy sprint

Matthew Brett
On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 10:14 PM, Peter Cock <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Note that TravisCI does not yet have official Python support on Mac OS X,
>>
>> https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/2312
>>
>> I believe it is possible to do anyway by faking it under another setting
>> (e.g. pretend to be a generic language build, and use the system Python
>> or install your own specific version of Python as needed), so that may be
>> worth trying during a sprint.
>

> That approach has worked reliably for
> https://github.com/MacPython/numpy-wheels for a while now, so should be
> straightforward.

And https://travis-ci.org/MacPython/scipy-wheels where we are testing
OSX, 64 and 32 bit manylinux builds daily.  That didn't catch the
recent ndimage error because I'd disabled the 32-bit builds there.

Numpy, scipy, and a fairly large number of other projects use
https://github.com/matthew-brett/multibuild to set up builds in this
way for manylinux, OSX and (with a bit more effort) Windows.

Cheers,

Matthew

Re: Scipy 2017 NumPy sprint

Peter Cock
On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 10:14 PM, Peter Cock <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Note that TravisCI does not yet have official Python support on Mac OS X,
>>
>> https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/2312
>>
>> I believe it is possible to do anyway by faking it under another setting
>> (e.g. pretend to be a generic language build, and use the system Python
>> or install your own specific version of Python as needed), so that may be
>> worth trying during a sprint.
>

> That approach has worked reliably for
> https://github.com/MacPython/numpy-wheels for a while now, so should be
> straightforward.
>
> Ralf

Thanks for that link - I'm going off topic but the MacPython wiki page goes
into more background about how they build wheels for PyPI which I'm
very interested to read up on:

https://github.com/MacPython/wiki/wiki/Spinning-wheels

Peter

Re: Scipy 2017 NumPy sprint

Matthew Brett
On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 11:31 AM, Peter Cock <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 10:14 PM, Peter Cock <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Note that TravisCI does not yet have official Python support on Mac OS X,
>>>
>>> https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/2312
>>>
>>> I believe it is possible to do anyway by faking it under another setting
>>> (e.g. pretend to be a generic language build, and use the system Python
>>> or install your own specific version of Python as needed), so that may be
>>> worth trying during a sprint.
>>

>> That approach has worked reliably for
>> https://github.com/MacPython/numpy-wheels for a while now, so should be
>> straightforward.
>>
>> Ralf
>
> Thanks for that link - I'm going off topic but the MacPython wiki page goes
> into more background about how they build wheels for PyPI which I'm
> very interested to read up on:
>
> https://github.com/MacPython/wiki/wiki/Spinning-wheels

Yes, you'll see that the multibuild framework that numpy and scipy
uses, includes utilities to download Python.org Python and build
against that, in Spinning-wheels fashion,

Cheers,

Matthew