Tagging 1.1rc1 in about 12 hours

Jarrod Millman
Hello,

I believe that we have now addressed everything that was holding up
the 1.1.0 release, so I will be tagging the 1.1.0rc1 in about 12
hours.  Please be extremely conservative and careful about any commits
you make to the trunk until we officially release 1.1.0 (now may be a
good time to spend some effort on SciPy).  Once I tag the release
candidate I will ask both David and Chris to create Windows and Mac
binaries.  I will give everyone a few days to test the release
candidate and binaries thoroughly.  If everything looks good, the
release candidate will become the official release.

Once I tag 1.1.0, I will open the trunk for 1.1.1 development.  Any
development for 1.2 will have to occur on a new branch.  I also plan
to spend sometime once 1.1.0 is released discussing with the community
what we want included in 1.2.

Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley
phone: 510.643.4014
http://cirl.berkeley.edu/

Re: Tagging 1.1rc1 in about 12 hours

Pearu Peterson-3

Jarrod Millman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I believe that we have now addressed everything that was holding up
> the 1.1.0 release, so I will be tagging the 1.1.0rc1 in about 12
> hours.  Please be extremely conservative and careful about any commits
> you make to the trunk until we officially release 1.1.0 (now may be a
> good time to spend some effort on SciPy).  Once I tag the release
> candidate I will ask both David and Chris to create Windows and Mac
> binaries.  I will give everyone a few days to test the release
> candidate and binaries thoroughly.  If everything looks good, the
> release candidate will become the official release.
>
> Once I tag 1.1.0, I will open the trunk for 1.1.1 development.  Any
> development for 1.2 will have to occur on a new branch.

I am working with the ticket 752 at the moment and I would probably
not want to commit my work to 1.1.0 at this time, so I shall commit
when trunk is open as 1.1.1.
My question regarding branching: how the changes from 1.1.1 will end up
into 1.2 branch?

Thanks,
Pearu

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 12:38 AM, Pearu Peterson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am working with the ticket 752 at the moment and I would probably
> not want to commit my work to 1.1.0 at this time, so I shall commit
> when trunk is open as 1.1.1.

That sounds reasonable.

> My question regarding branching: how the changes from 1.1.1 will end up
> into 1.2 branch?

The branches will need to be merged back into the trunk.  I know that
branches are a bit difficult to deal with in subversion, but until we
decided to move to distributed version control system.

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 1:20 AM, Jarrod Millman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I believe that we have now addressed everything that was holding up
the 1.1.0 release, so I will be tagging the 1.1.0rc1 in about 12
hours.  Please be extremely conservative and careful about any commits
you make to the trunk until we officially release 1.1.0 (now may be a
good time to spend some effort on SciPy).  Once I tag the release
candidate I will ask both David and Chris to create Windows and Mac
binaries.  I will give everyone a few days to test the release
candidate and binaries thoroughly.  If everything looks good, the
release candidate will become the official release.

Once I tag 1.1.0, I will open the trunk for 1.1.1 development.

You mean bug fixes. No development should happen in 1.1.1

Any development for 1.2 will have to occur on a new branch.

So open the new branch already. I've got stuff that's been stuck in the queue for over a month waiting for the release and the longer it waits the more likely it is that that someone will change something and it all becomes a merge nightmare. I don't want to let that stuff hang fire until late summer.

Re: Tagging 1.1rc1 in about 12 hours

Charles R Harris

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Charles R Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 1:20 AM, Jarrod Millman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I believe that we have now addressed everything that was holding up
the 1.1.0 release, so I will be tagging the 1.1.0rc1 in about 12
hours.  Please be extremely conservative and careful about any commits
you make to the trunk until we officially release 1.1.0 (now may be a
good time to spend some effort on SciPy).  Once I tag the release
candidate I will ask both David and Chris to create Windows and Mac
binaries.  I will give everyone a few days to test the release
candidate and binaries thoroughly.  If everything looks good, the
release candidate will become the official release.

Once I tag 1.1.0, I will open the trunk for 1.1.1 development.

You mean bug fixes. No development should happen in 1.1.1

And no documentation updates, either. Version 1.1.1 should *only* be for egregious bugs, everything else should go into 1.2. Trying to keep things synchronized will become a complete nightmare otherwise. I would even suggest that 1.1.1 not be the trunk, it should be a branch of 1.1. After release, 1.1 is history and time marches on.

On Sat, May 17, 2008 7:48 pm, Charles R Harris wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 1:20 AM, Jarrod Millman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> Once I tag 1.1.0, I will open the trunk for 1.1.1 development.
>> Any development for 1.2 will have to occur on a new branch.
>
> So open the new branch already.

I am waiting it too. At least, give another time target for 1.1.0.
(ticket 752 has a patch ready and waiting for a commit,
if 1.1.0 is going to wait another few days, the commit to 1.1.0
should be safe).

Pearu