Taking NumPy in Stride workshop at PyData Barcelona

Taking NumPy in Stride workshop at PyData Barcelona

Jaime Fernández del Río
I ended up going to the PyData event in Barcelona last month and running a workshop there. The notebook I used can be found here:

I was afraid that the content would be too technical, but all the feedback I got from attendees was that they very much enjoyed it and want more of this deep technical dives into the belly of the beast.

Of course IRL, contrary to the internet, it is easier to approach someone to tell them you like what they presented, than to tell them they suck. So maybe this is just a biased illusion, but until proven wrong I am encouraging anyone with the knowledge and the opportunity to go ahead and organize a similar workshop in any conference they go to.

Jaime

P.S. I also got a chance to catch up with Francesc Alted and Travis Oliphant, which is always great!

--
(\__/)
( O.o)

Re: Taking NumPy in Stride workshop at PyData Barcelona

Gael Varoquaux
+1

In my experience, there is a lack of deep understanding of numpy works,
and people are happy to learn.

Gaël

--
    Gael Varoquaux
    Researcher, INRIA Parietal

Re: Taking NumPy in Stride workshop at PyData Barcelona

Kiko-6

+1

In my experience, there is a lack of deep understanding of numpy works,
and people are happy to learn.

Gaël

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 09:38:08AM +0200, Jaime Fernández del Río wrote:
> I ended up going to the PyData event in Barcelona last month and running a
> workshop there. The notebook I used can be found here:

> https://github.com/jaimefrio/pydatabcn2017/tree/master/taking_numpy_in_stride

> I was afraid that the content would be too technical, but all the feedback I
> got from attendees was that they very much enjoyed it and want more of this
> deep technical dives into the belly of the beast.

> Of course IRL, contrary to the internet, it is easier to approach someone to
> tell them you like what they presented, than to tell them they suck. So maybe
> this is just a biased illusion, but until proven wrong I am encouraging anyone
> with the knowledge and the opportunity to go ahead and organize a similar
> workshop in any conference they go to.

Jaime, as you know I was there and I really enjoyed the workshop (and the talk). I've also received positive comments from others there.

Maybe it is not and ad-hoc workshop for a PyData these days where all the buzzwords are Spark, TensorFlow, DeepWhatever,..., but, again, I think it was great and it was one of my reasons to go to PyData Barcelona.

Thanks for the workshop.

--
    Gael Varoquaux
    Researcher, INRIA Parietal
    NeuroSpin/CEA Saclay , Bat 145, 91191 Gif-sur-Yvette France
    Phone:  <a href="tel:%2B%2B%2033-1-69-08-79-68" value="+33169087968">++ 33-1-69-08-79-68
    http://gael-varoquaux.info            http://twitter.com/GaelVaroquaux

Re: Taking NumPy in Stride workshop at PyData Barcelona

Francesc Alted-3

+1

In my experience, there is a lack of deep understanding of numpy works,
and people are happy to learn.

Gaël

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 09:38:08AM +0200, Jaime Fernández del Río wrote:
> I ended up going to the PyData event in Barcelona last month and running a
> workshop there. The notebook I used can be found here:

> https://github.com/jaimefrio/pydatabcn2017/tree/master/taking_numpy_in_stride

> I was afraid that the content would be too technical, but all the feedback I
> got from attendees was that they very much enjoyed it and want more of this
> deep technical dives into the belly of the beast.

​When the content is deeply technical and the teacher can really convey its more hidden details, that says a lot about the teacher :)​  We routinely have very good feedback from a similar tutorial run by Stéfan van der Walt at our ASPP annual event:

​but again, this is just a proof of another top-notch teacher in action.​

> Of course IRL, contrary to the internet, it is easier to approach someone to
> tell them you like what they presented, than to tell them they suck. So maybe
> this is just a biased illusion, but until proven wrong I am encouraging anyone
> with the knowledge and the opportunity to go ahead and organize a similar
> workshop in any conference they go to.

Jaime, as you know I was there and I really enjoyed the workshop (and the talk). I've also received positive comments from others there.

Maybe it is not and ad-hoc workshop for a PyData these days where all the buzzwords are Spark, TensorFlow, DeepWhatever,..., but, again, I think it was great and it was one of my reasons to go to PyData Barcelona.

​Exactly, and IMO it is precisely this balance between teaching fundamentals and new technologies what makes a conference to ​stand out and fullfill different expectations.  And I must say that PyData Barcelona was pretty good at that.

​Francesc​

Thanks for the workshop.

--
    Gael Varoquaux
    Researcher, INRIA Parietal
    NeuroSpin/CEA Saclay , Bat 145, 91191 Gif-sur-Yvette France
    Phone:  <a href="tel:%2B%2B%2033-1-69-08-79-68" value="+33169087968" target="_blank">++ 33-1-69-08-79-68
    http://gael-varoquaux.info            http://twitter.com/GaelVaroquaux

Francesc Alted