Taking back control of the #numpy irc channel

Taking back control of the #numpy irc channel

mattip
Over the past few days spambots have been hitting freenode's IRC
channels[0, 1]. It turns out the #numpy channel has no operator, so we
cannot make the channel mode "|+q $~a"[2] - i.e. only registered
freenode users can talk but anyone can listen.

I was in touch with the freenode staff, they requested that someone from
the steering council reach out to them at ||[hidden email], here
is the quote from the discussion:

"
it's pretty much a matter of them sending an email telling us who they'd
like to represent them on freenode, which channels and cloak namespaces
they want, and any info we might need on the project
"

In the mean time they set the channel mode appropriately, so this is
also a notice that if you want to chat on the #numpy IRC channel you
need to register.

Hope someone from the council picks this up and reaches out to them, and
will decide who is to able to become channel operators (the recommended
practice is to use it like sudo, only assume the role when needed then
turn it back off).

Matti

[0] https://freenode.net/news/spambot-attack
[1] https://freenode.net/news/spam-shake
[2] https://nedbatchelder.com/blog/201808/fighting_spam_on_freenode.html

Re: Taking back control of the #numpy irc channel

Nathan Goldbaum
Hi,

I idle in #scipy and have op in there. I’m happy start idling in #numpy and be op if the community is willing to let me. I’m also in the process of getting ops for #matplotlib for similar spam-related reasons. I’d say all the scientific python IRC channels I’m in get a decent amount of traffic (perhaps 10% of the number of questions that get asked on StackOverflow) and it’s a good venue for asking quick questions. Let’s hope that forcing people to register doesn’t kill that, although there’s not much we can do given the spam attack.

Nathan

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 9:03 PM Matti Picus <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

ralfgommers

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 7:15 PM, Nathan Goldbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I idle in #scipy and have op in there. I’m happy start idling in #numpy and be op if the community is willing to let me.

Thanks Nathan. Sounds useful.

There's also a Gitter numpy channel. AFAIK few/none core devs are regularly active on either IRC or Gitter. I would suggest that we document both these channels as community-run at https://scipy.org/scipylib/mailing-lists.html, and give Nathan and others who are interested the permissions they need.

I think our official recommendation for usage questions is StackOverflow.

[...]

Sebastian Berg
On Mon, 2018-08-06 at 21:52 -0700, Ralf Gommers wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 7:15 PM, Nathan Goldbaum <[hidden email]
> m> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I idle in #scipy and have op in there. I’m happy start idling in
> > #numpy and be op if the community is willing to let me.
> >

> Thanks Nathan. Sounds useful.

Sounds good. I haven't really hung out there for a long time (frankly,
I never hung out in #numpy, I thought people just use #scipy).

Can we just give a few names (such as Matti, Nathan, maybe me, anyone
else right now?) and add others later ourselves?
I can get in contact with freenode (unless someone already did).

> There's also a Gitter numpy channel. AFAIK few/none core devs are
> regularly active on either IRC or Gitter. I would suggest that we
> document both these channels as community-run at
> https://scipy.org/scipylib/mailing-lists.html, and give Nathan and
> others who are interested the permissions they need.

Yeah, the gitter seems pretty inactive as well. But I guess it doesn't
hurt to mention them.

- Sebastian

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 4:34 AM, Sebastian Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 2018-08-06 at 21:52 -0700, Ralf Gommers wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 7:15 PM, Nathan Goldbaum <[hidden email]
> m> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I idle in #scipy and have op in there. I’m happy start idling in
> > #numpy and be op if the community is willing to let me.
> >

> Thanks Nathan. Sounds useful.

Sounds good. I haven't really hung out there for a long time (frankly,
I never hung out in #numpy, I thought people just use #scipy).

Can we just give a few names (such as Matti, Nathan, maybe me, anyone
else right now?) and add others later ourselves?
I can get in contact with freenode (unless someone already did).

Thanks Sebastian. Go ahead I'd say.

Ralf

On Tue, 2018-08-07 at 22:07 -0700, Ralf Gommers wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 4:34 AM, Sebastian Berg <sebastian@sipsolution
> s.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2018-08-06 at 21:52 -0700, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> > >

> > > On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 7:15 PM, Nathan Goldbaum <nathan12343@gmai
> > l.co

> > in
> > > >

> > > Thanks Nathan. Sounds useful.
> > >

> > Sounds good. I haven't really hung out there for a long time
> > (frankly,
> > I never hung out in #numpy, I thought people just use #scipy).
> >
> > Can we just give a few names (such as Matti, Nathan, maybe me,
> > anyone
> > else right now?) and add others later ourselves?
> > I can get in contact with freenode (unless someone already did).
>
> Thanks Sebastian. Go ahead I'd say.

Will do, just realized looking at it. The Steering Council list, etc.
has a list of names, but not email addresses (or PGP keys). I do not
remember, was that intentional or not? Also I am not sure if the
steering council email address is published anywhere, IIRC it was
possible for anyone to send an email to it (OTOH, it would be nice to
not catch spam there, so maybe it is fine to ask for the address
first).

- Sebastian

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 1:23 AM, Sebastian Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 2018-08-07 at 22:07 -0700, Ralf Gommers wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 4:34 AM, Sebastian Berg <sebastian@sipsolution
> s.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2018-08-06 at 21:52 -0700, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> > >

> > > On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 7:15 PM, Nathan Goldbaum <nathan12343@gmai
> > l.co

> > in
> > > >

> > > Thanks Nathan. Sounds useful.
> > >

> > Sounds good. I haven't really hung out there for a long time
> > (frankly,
> > I never hung out in #numpy, I thought people just use #scipy).
> >
> > Can we just give a few names (such as Matti, Nathan, maybe me,
> > anyone
> > else right now?) and add others later ourselves?
> > I can get in contact with freenode (unless someone already did).
>
> Thanks Sebastian. Go ahead I'd say.

Will do, just realized looking at it. The Steering Council list, etc.
has a list of names, but not email addresses (or PGP keys). I do not
remember, was that intentional or not?

I have a vague memory of that being intentional, but not sure. I don't mind making email addresses public; they can be found from git commit logs and mailing lists anyway, so why make life difficult for whomever wants to reach us.

Also I am not sure if the
steering council email address is published anywhere, IIRC it was
possible for anyone to send an email to it (OTOH, it would be nice to
not catch spam there, so maybe it is fine to ask for the address
first).

Google's spam filters are pretty good. For the record, it is [hidden email]

On Wed, 2018-08-08 at 08:55 -0700, Ralf Gommers wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 1:23 AM, Sebastian Berg <sebastian@sipsolution
> s.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2018-08-07 at 22:07 -0700, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> > >

> > > On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 4:34 AM, Sebastian Berg <sebastian@sipsolu
> > tion

> > gmai

> > idling

> > did).
> > >
> > > Thanks Sebastian. Go ahead I'd say.
> >

> > Will do, just realized looking at it. The Steering Council list,
> > etc.
> > has a list of names, but not email addresses (or PGP keys). I do
> > not
> > remember, was that intentional or not?
>
> I have a vague memory of that being intentional, but not sure. I
> don't mind making email addresses public; they can be found from git
> commit logs and mailing lists anyway, so why make life difficult for
> whomever wants to reach us.

Yeah, well, I find PGP keys a good idea, even if they might outdate
once in a while.... That means if someone wants to check you can easily
sign an email and they can be pretty sure you can claim to have some
sway in NumPy (right now freenode did it by seeing I have power on
github, but it is not really quite ideal).

On a general note about IRC, we have claimed #numpy now:

If anyone wants anything #numpy related on IRC now (new channels, cloak
namespaces, ...), please contact me or Matti (I assume you are happy
with that role!). If someone is unhappy with us two being the main
contact/people who have those right on freenode, also contact us so we
can get it changed.

- Sebastian

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 9:06 AM, Sebastian Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 2018-08-08 at 08:55 -0700, Ralf Gommers wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 1:23 AM, Sebastian Berg <sebastian@sipsolution
> s.net> wrote:
> >

> > Will do, just realized looking at it. The Steering Council list,
> > etc.
> > has a list of names, but not email addresses (or PGP keys). I do
> > not
> > remember, was that intentional or not?
>
> I have a vague memory of that being intentional, but not sure. I
> don't mind making email addresses public; they can be found from git
> commit logs and mailing lists anyway, so why make life difficult for
> whomever wants to reach us.

Yeah, well, I find PGP keys a good idea, even if they might outdate
once in a while.... That means if someone wants to check you can easily
sign an email and they can be pretty sure you can claim to have some
sway in NumPy (right now freenode did it by seeing I have power on
github, but it is not really quite ideal).

Hmm, happy to add PGP keys (optionally), but it doesn't really replace an email address for me. E.g. I don't have PGP keys on all the machines I work on. It's just not worth the trouble syncing that for the few times a year I use a PGP key. How about adding both, optionally?

If yes, then it would be nice to collect those in a single PR to limit the churn to the governance doc files.

Re: Taking back control of the #numpy irc channel

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 9:06 AM, Sebastian Berg
If someone is unhappy with us two being the main
contact/people who have those right on freenode,

On the contrary, thanks much for taking this on!

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax