The http://planet.scipy.org/ site is down.

Anyone know who hosts http://planet.scipy.org/?

Re: The http://planet.scipy.org/ site is down.

Gael Varoquaux
It used to be enthought.

Sorry, I'm traveling for vacations, and I cannot take care of this right now.

Gaël

Sent from my phone. Please forgive typos and briefness.
On Aug 18, 2018, at 07:44, Charles R Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone know who hosts http://planet.scipy.org/?

Re: The http://planet.scipy.org/ site is down.

Andy Ray Terrel
Unfortunately the machine that was hosting planet.scipy.org has died.

The volunteer that was supporting it, Sheila Miguez, had warned the scipy leadership for over a year that it was going down. Over the last six months after the Rackspace open source program has ended she repeatedly reached out for help. I tried to save it but the machine wasn’t backed up or had any instructions on how to operate. The rackspace images couldn’t be transferred to the NumFOCUS account for some reason that was never understood.

Sheila informed Rackspace that she couldn’t pay the bill of over $1200 for the machine and we would need to cancel the account. I paid the bill for her, and started the process of copying files over to a different box. Rackspace, despite telling us it would take 3 days to delete the account took less then 3hours. Since then I have been on numerous support calls but it appears the account is gone.

— Andy

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 6:07 AM Didrik Pinte <[hidden email]> wrote:
Andy Terrel and I have been in the process of migrating the service out of Rackspace account. There was an issue when the Rackspace machine and its snapshots got deleted a little too fast. We're working on recovering the service asap.

-- Didrik

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 at 16:52, Gael Varoquaux <[hidden email]> wrote:
It used to be enthought.

Sorry, I'm traveling for vacations, and I cannot take care of this right now.

Gaël

Sent from my phone. Please forgive typos and briefness.
On Aug 18, 2018, at 07:44, Charles R Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone know who hosts http://planet.scipy.org/?

Re: The http://planet.scipy.org/ site is down.

ralfgommers

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 4:39 AM Andy Ray Terrel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your efforts Andy and Didrik.

Planet SciPy was useful and fairly popular I think, so worth considering if and how we want to revive it. Besides the server that planet.scipy.org was living on (which was in bad shape), there's the issue that the Planet software hasn't been maintained for ages. Here's what I dug up a couple of years ago:

"It took me forever to find the latest planet code, it's actually named Planet Venus now (Planet Planet is dead):
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.planet.devel/2223
https://github.com/rubys/venus
http://www.intertwingly.net/code/venus/docs/index.html
"
Planet Venus had its last update in 2011, so also not viable anymore. The only semi-maintained one (last update Nov 2017) is Planet Pluto now (https://github.com/feedreader/), which is a Ruby project. So probably best to look for a non-planet solution (e.g. https://www.wprssaggregator.com/). If anyone has experience with something like this that works, would be great to hear.

Number 1 on my wish list for an alternative is something that's either hosted or serverless; we always have problems with any server that needs maintaining. Right now there's on healthy server for scipy.org/docs.scipy.org, and I wouldn't want to see that run anything like Planet or Wordpress.

Re: The http://planet.scipy.org/ site is down.

Pauli Virtanen-3
ma, 2018-08-20 kello 10:18 -0700, Ralf Gommers kirjoitti:
[clip]
> Number 1 on my wish list for an alternative is something that's
> either
> hosted or serverless; we always have problems with any server that
> needs
> maintaining. Right now there's on healthy server for
> scipy.org/docs.scipy.org, and I wouldn't want to see that run
> anything like
> Planet or Wordpress.

There are some static site generators, including rawdog (
https://offog.org/code/rawdog/) which apparently is used for
planet.kde.org

Proof of concept:
https://pv.github.io/rawdogplanetscipy/
https://github.com/pv/rawdogplanetscipy/

This has the advantage that it's sort of stateless --- anyone can just
clone the git repository, and it should generate more or less the same
page. Only static web server needed. Probably someone could put it into
crontab and mostly forget about it.

However, it's misuse of github pages to host this there, so some other
static host would need to be found.

Not volunteering to take this into completion, though.

        Pauli

Re: The http://planet.scipy.org/ site is down.

Pauli Virtanen-3
ti, 2018-08-21 kello 01:02 +0200, Pauli Virtanen kirjoitti:
[clip]
> Not volunteering to take this into completion, though.

Well, turns out otherwise:

https://planetscipy.netlify.com/

https://github.com/pv/staticplanet/

It's just a essentially stateless static site generator that can be put
in a cronjob anywhere, so it's simple to move if I get tired of dealing
with it.

I understand that if "planet CNAME planetscipy.netlify.com." is added
to the scipy.org DNS, it would work after pressing some button.

        Pauli

On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 2:16 PM Pauli Virtanen <[hidden email]> wrote:
ti, 2018-08-21 kello 01:02 +0200, Pauli Virtanen kirjoitti:
[clip]
> Not volunteering to take this into completion, though.

Well, turns out otherwise:

Awesome, thanks a lot Pauli!

The buttons were pressed; we can all go back to reading https://planet.scipy.org/