Top level release index page

mattip
In PR 13886 I reworked the way the link to the release notes is
generated. The current page is

http://www.numpy.org/devdocs/release.html

and  the new page is

https://8001-908607-gh.circle-artifacts.com/0/home/circleci/repo/doc/build/html/release.html

I don't like the "wall of text" in the current page. On the other hand,
it is nice to use CTRL-F to search the page itself for answers to
questions like "what release deprecated indexing by float", which is why
I left the level-of-detail at 3 (1 - release, 2 - sections, 3 - item
header).

Should the level-of-detail be reduced to only single links to the
release document?

An alternative would be to render the contents as a collapsible list,
which would require some javascript.

Re: Top level release index page

ralfgommers

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 3:18 PM Matti Picus <[hidden email]> wrote:
In PR 13886 I reworked the way the link to the release notes is
generated. The current page is

http://www.numpy.org/devdocs/release.html

and  the new page is

https://8001-908607-gh.circle-artifacts.com/0/home/circleci/repo/doc/build/html/release.html

I don't like the "wall of text" in the current page. On the other hand,
it is nice to use CTRL-F to search the page itself for answers to
questions like "what release deprecated indexing by float", which is why
I left the level-of-detail at 3 (1 - release, 2 - sections, 3 - item
header).

Should the level-of-detail be reduced to only single links to the
release document?

I like your version, definitely nicer than what we have now, happy to go with your PR and level-of-detail 3 as is.

An alternative would be to render the contents as a collapsible list,
which would require some javascript.

Hmm, custom JavaScript for navigating Sphinx-navigated docs seems wrong and is going to be a maintenance hassle at some point.

Re: Top level release index page

Peter Cock

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 11:19 PM Matti Picus <[hidden email]> wrote:
In PR 13886 I reworked the way the link to the release notes is
generated. The current page is

http://www.numpy.org/devdocs/release.html

and  the new page is

https://8001-908607-gh.circle-artifacts.com/0/home/circleci/repo/doc/build/html/release.html

I don't like the "wall of text" in the current page. On the other hand,
it is nice to use CTRL-F to search the page itself for answers to
questions like "what release deprecated indexing by float", which is why
I left the level-of-detail at 3 (1 - release, 2 - sections, 3 - item
header).

That seems a good compromise - certainly I have often used CTRL-F
on release notes or change notes while tracing regressions - and having
all the releases on one page makes this *so* much easier.

Due to the way I typically use release notes, I would perhaps have
just left the wall of text as is.

Should the level-of-detail be reduced to only single links to the
release document?

I'm unclear what you are suggesting here.

An alternative would be to render the contents as a collapsible list,
which would require some javascript.

Collapsible lists (which worked with CTRL-F searching) would be even
better for balancing readability with utility, provided it was not too much
trouble to implement and maintain of course.

Peter