Update the Code of Conduct Committee Membership (new members wanted)

Update the Code of Conduct Committee Membership (new members wanted)

it has come up in the last community call that many of our committee
membership lists have not been updated in a while.
This is not a big issue as such.  But, while these committees are not
very active on a day-to-day basis, they are an important part of the
community and it is better to update them regularly and thus also
ensure they remain representative of the community.

We would like to start by updating the members of the Code of Conduct
(CoC) committee.  The CoC committee is in charge of responding and
following up to any reports of CoC breaches, as stated in:

https://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/dev/conduct/code_of_conduct.html#incident-reporting-resolution-code-of-conduct-enforcement

If you are interested in or happy to serve on our CoC committee please
let me or e.g. Ralf Gommers know, join the next community meeting
(April 29th, 11:00PDT/18:00UTC), or reply on the list.

I hope we will be able to discuss and reach a consensus between those
interested and involved quickly (possibly already on the next community
call).  In either case, before any changes they will be run by the
mailing list to ensure community consensus.

Re: Update the Code of Conduct Committee Membership (new members wanted)

ralfgommers

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 11:38 PM Sebastian Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

it has come up in the last community call that many of our committee
membership lists have not been updated in a while.
This is not a big issue as such.  But, while these committees are not
very active on a day-to-day basis, they are an important part of the
community and it is better to update them regularly and thus also
ensure they remain representative of the community.

Thanks Sebastian!

We would like to start by updating the members of the Code of Conduct
(CoC) committee.  The CoC committee is in charge of responding and
following up to any reports of CoC breaches, as stated in:

https://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/dev/conduct/code_of_conduct.html#incident-reporting-resolution-code-of-conduct-enforcement

If you are interested in or happy to serve on our CoC committee please
let me or e.g. Ralf Gommers know, join the next community meeting
(April 29th, 11:00PDT/18:00UTC), or reply on the list.

I hope we will be able to discuss and reach a consensus between those
interested and involved quickly (possibly already on the next community
call).  In either case, before any changes they will be run by the
mailing list to ensure community consensus.

Following up on this: Melissa and Anirudh both volunteered for this (thank you!), and in the last community call we discussed this (thumbs up from everyone there), and gave me the assignment to follow up on this list.

Both Melissa and Anirudh have experience with CoC's, Melissa for the SciPy conference and Anirudh in the MXNet community. They're also two of the most active current contributors. So it will be great to have them on the committee.

We also discussed that it would be good to have at least one current member remain, to have one steering council member who knows the project history well on the committee. Both Stefan and I have said that we're happy to stay on. So I would suggest that Stefan and I get together and figure out who of us that will be. And then we update the website and the CoC committee's private email list.

Re: Update the Code of Conduct Committee Membership (new members wanted)

Warren Weckesser-2
On 5/2/20, Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 11:38 PM Sebastian Berg
> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> it has come up in the last community call that many of our committee
>> membership lists have not been updated in a while.
>> This is not a big issue as such.  But, while these committees are not
>> very active on a day-to-day basis, they are an important part of the
>> community and it is better to update them regularly and thus also
>> ensure they remain representative of the community.
>>

> Thanks Sebastian!
>

>> We would like to start by updating the members of the Code of Conduct
>> (CoC) committee.  The CoC committee is in charge of responding and
>> following up to any reports of CoC breaches, as stated in:
>>

>> https://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/dev/conduct/code_of_conduct.html#incident-reporting-resolution-code-of-conduct-enforcement
>>
>> If you are interested in or happy to serve on our CoC committee please
>> let me or e.g. Ralf Gommers know, join the next community meeting
>> (April 29th, 11:00PDT/18:00UTC), or reply on the list.
>>
>> I hope we will be able to discuss and reach a consensus between those
>> interested and involved quickly (possibly already on the next community
>> call).  In either case, before any changes they will be run by the
>> mailing list to ensure community consensus.
>>

> Following up on this: Melissa and Anirudh both volunteered for this (thank
> you!), and in the last community call we discussed this (thumbs up from
> everyone there), and gave me the assignment to follow up on this list.
>
> Both Melissa and Anirudh have experience with CoC's, Melissa for the SciPy
> conference and Anirudh in the MXNet community. They're also two of the most
> active current contributors. So it will be great to have them on the
> committee.
>
> We also discussed that it would be good to have at least one current member
> remain, to have one steering council member who knows the project history
> well on the committee. Both Stefan and I have said that we're happy to stay
> on. So I would suggest that Stefan and I get together and figure out who of
> us that will be. And then we update the website and the CoC committee's
> private email list.

Sounds good.  Thanks Sebastian, Ralf, Anirudh and Melissa!

Warren

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 10:23 PM Warren Weckesser <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 5/2/20, Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 11:38 PM Sebastian Berg
> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> it has come up in the last community call that many of our committee
>> membership lists have not been updated in a while.
>> This is not a big issue as such.  But, while these committees are not
>> very active on a day-to-day basis, they are an important part of the
>> community and it is better to update them regularly and thus also
>> ensure they remain representative of the community.
>>

> Thanks Sebastian!
>

>> We would like to start by updating the members of the Code of Conduct
>> (CoC) committee.  The CoC committee is in charge of responding and
>> following up to any reports of CoC breaches, as stated in:
>>

>> https://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/dev/conduct/code_of_conduct.html#incident-reporting-resolution-code-of-conduct-enforcement
>>
>> If you are interested in or happy to serve on our CoC committee please
>> let me or e.g. Ralf Gommers know, join the next community meeting
>> (April 29th, 11:00PDT/18:00UTC), or reply on the list.
>>
>> I hope we will be able to discuss and reach a consensus between those
>> interested and involved quickly (possibly already on the next community
>> call).  In either case, before any changes they will be run by the
>> mailing list to ensure community consensus.
>>

> Following up on this: Melissa and Anirudh both volunteered for this (thank
> you!), and in the last community call we discussed this (thumbs up from
> everyone there), and gave me the assignment to follow up on this list.
>
> Both Melissa and Anirudh have experience with CoC's, Melissa for the SciPy
> conference and Anirudh in the MXNet community. They're also two of the most
> active current contributors. So it will be great to have them on the
> committee.
>
> We also discussed that it would be good to have at least one current member
> remain, to have one steering council member who knows the project history
> well on the committee. Both Stefan and I have said that we're happy to stay
> on. So I would suggest that Stefan and I get together and figure out who of
> us that will be. And then we update the website and the CoC committee's
> private email list.

Stefan and I talked about this last week. I'm already wearing a lot of hats (e.g. web and docs teams, Tidelift and NumFOCUS liaison), and also Melissa and I are colleagues, so we decided it's better for Stefan to remain on the CoC committee.

I'll open a PR to update the website. Thanks everyone who is volunteering!