a new grant for NumPy and OpenBLAS!

I'm very pleased to announce that NumPy and OpenBLAS have received a joint grant for $195,000 from the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative.

In summary, this grant is for high-level documentation, website development and graphic design, governance activities and community building for NumPy, and for technical work on OpenBLAS (which is one of NumPy's key dependencies). I wrote a blog post on what this grant is about and some background at [1], and published the full proposal at [2]. The program managers wrote a blog post about the whole program [3] which is also well worth reading.

I'm looking forward to what we'll be able to do with this grant. The work is planned to start quite soon, Dec 1st, and run for one year.

Questions and ideas on any aspect of this grant are very welcome!

Re: a new grant for NumPy and OpenBLAS!

Charles R Harris

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 4:42 PM Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm very pleased to announce that NumPy and OpenBLAS have received a joint grant for $195,000 from the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative.

In summary, this grant is for high-level documentation, website development and graphic design, governance activities and community building for NumPy, and for technical work on OpenBLAS (which is one of NumPy's key dependencies). I wrote a blog post on what this grant is about and some background at [1], and published the full proposal at [2]. The program managers wrote a blog post about the whole program [3] which is also well worth reading.

I'm looking forward to what we'll be able to do with this grant. The work is planned to start quite soon, Dec 1st, and run for one year.

Questions and ideas on any aspect of this grant are very welcome!

Nice. The distribution of funded projects across institutions was interesting and I was a bit surprised that Harvard/MIT/Stanford didn't have more representation. I'm glad to see OpenBLAS get some help.  We should also begin thinking about quad precision linear algebra at some point, although double precision does the job for most things.

Re: a new grant for NumPy and OpenBLAS!

Stefan van der Walt
Hi Ralf,

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019, at 15:42, Ralf Gommers wrote:
I'm very pleased to announce that NumPy and OpenBLAS have received a joint grant for $195,000 from the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative.

Congratulations on receiving this grant!  I am very happy to see more funded involvement in NumPy, and am pleased that you will get to focus some time on increasing participation and diversifying roles.  It is absolutely crucial that we succeed in this if we want to remain a healthy project---so thank you for all your hard work on that front.

Best regards,

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 9:35 PM Stefan van der Walt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ralf,

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019, at 15:42, Ralf Gommers wrote:
I'm very pleased to announce that NumPy and OpenBLAS have received a joint grant for $195,000 from the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative.

Congratulations on receiving this grant!  I am very happy to see more funded involvement in NumPy, and am pleased that you will get to focus some time on increasing participation and diversifying roles.  It is absolutely crucial that we succeed in this if we want to remain a healthy project---so thank you for all your hard work on that front.

Thanks Stéfan and everyone else!