error during pip install

Alan Isaac
Upgrading numpy with pip on Python 3.8b4 on Win 10 produced:
ERROR: Could not install packages due to an EnvironmentError: [WinError 123] The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect: '"C:'

However, the install appears to have been successful.

fwiw, Alan Isaac

On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 5:41 PM Charles R Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
I that the pip that comes with Python 3.8b4?

On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 10:12 AM Alan Isaac <[hidden email]> wrote:
Upgrading numpy with pip on Python 3.8b4 on Win 10 produced:
ERROR: Could not install packages due to an EnvironmentError: [WinError 123] The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect: '"C:'

However, the install appears to have been successful.

And where did you get NumPy, we don't have any compatible wheels. Was this from source?

Re: error during pip install

Alan Isaac
>>> On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 10:12 AM Alan Isaac wrote:
>>     Upgrading numpy with pip on Python 3.8b4 on Win 10
>>     produced:
>>     ERROR: Could not install packages due to an
>>     EnvironmentError: [WinError 123] The filename,
>>     directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect:
>>     '"C:'

>>     However, the install appears to have been successful.

>> On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 5:41 PM Charles R Harris wrote:
> I that the pip that comes with Python 3.8b4?

Yes.

On 9/27/2019 7:43 PM, Charles R Harris wrote:
> And where did you get NumPy, we don't have any compatible wheels. Was this from source?

Umm, ... does `pip` automatically compile from source in
this case?  (I just used `python38 -m pip install numpy`;
I'm afraid I did not specify a log file.)

But I'll take the core message to be: wait for the wheels.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: error during pip install

Charles R Harris

On Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 9:45 AM Alan Isaac <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 10:12 AM Alan Isaac wrote:
>>     Upgrading numpy with pip on Python 3.8b4 on Win 10
>>     produced:
>>     ERROR: Could not install packages due to an
>>     EnvironmentError: [WinError 123] The filename,
>>     directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect:
>>     '"C:'

>>     However, the install appears to have been successful.

>> On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 5:41 PM Charles R Harris wrote:
> I that the pip that comes with Python 3.8b4?

Yes.

On 9/27/2019 7:43 PM, Charles R Harris wrote:
> And where did you get NumPy, we don't have any compatible wheels. Was this from source?

Umm, ... does `pip` automatically compile from source in
this case?  (I just used `python38 -m pip install numpy`;
I'm afraid I did not specify a log file.)

Yes. I'm actually pleased that the install succeeded on Window, although you won't have good BLAS/LAPACK, just the numpy C versions of lapack_lite. The warning/error is a bit concerning though, it would be nice to know if it is from Python3.8 pip or numpy.

But I'll take the core message to be: wait for the wheels.

We will need to work on generating 3.8 wheels as soon as Python 3.8 is released. I'd like to try before then, but the simplest attempt failed and I didn't pursue it.

Re: error during pip install

Alan Isaac
On 9/28/2019 12:12 PM, Charles R Harris wrote:
> I'm actually pleased that the install succeeded on Window, although you won't have good BLAS/LAPACK, just the numpy C versions of lapack_lite. The warning/error is a bit
> concerning though, it would be nice to know if it is from Python3.8 pip or numpy.

Possibly relevant:
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/11451

Alan

Re: error during pip install

Charles R Harris

On Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 11:23 AM Alan Isaac <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 9/28/2019 12:12 PM, Charles R Harris wrote:
> I'm actually pleased that the install succeeded on Window, although you won't have good BLAS/LAPACK, just the numpy C versions of lapack_lite. The warning/error is a bit
> concerning though, it would be nice to know if it is from Python3.8 pip or numpy.

Possibly relevant:
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/11451

Yes, thanks, that looks to be the problem.