f2py errors: any help interpreting?

Mark Miller-11
To anyone who can help:

I recently got around to installing numpy 1.04 over an older version (numpy 1.04dev3982) on a Windows Vista machine.  Since then, I have been unable to compile some of my extensions using f2py.  I also tested a fresh install of numpy 1.04 on a new XP machine that has never seen Python and am getting the same messages.

Here's the relevant bits, I think.

        Wrote C/API module "pickparents" to file "c:\users\mark\appdata\local\temp\tmpiuxw9j\src.win32-2.5/pickparentsmodule.c"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\python25\scripts\f2py.py", line 26, in <module>
    main()
  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\numpy\f2py\f2py2e.py", line 558, in main
    run_compile()
  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\numpy\f2py\f2py2e.py", line 545, in run_compile
    setup(ext_modules = [ext])
  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\numpy\distutils\core.py", line 176, in setup
    return old_setup(**new_attr)
  File "C:\Python25\lib\distutils\core.py", line 151, in setup
    dist.run_commands()
  File "C:\Python25\lib\distutils\dist.py", line 974, in run_commands
    self.run_command(cmd)
  File "C:\Python25\lib\distutils\dist.py", line 994, in run_command
    cmd_obj.run()
  File "C:\Python25\lib\distutils\command\build.py", line 112, in run
    self.run_command(cmd_name)
  File "C:\Python25\lib\distutils\cmd.py", line 333, in run_command
    self.distribution.run_command(command)
  File "C:\Python25\lib\distutils\dist.py", line 994, in run_command
    cmd_obj.run()
  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\numpy\distutils\command\build_src.py", line 130, in run
    self.build_sources()
  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\numpy\distutils\command\build_src.py", line 147, in build_sources
    self.build_extension_sources(ext)
  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\numpy\distutils\command\build_src.py", line 256, in build_extension_sources
    sources = self.f2py_sources(sources, ext)
  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\numpy\distutils\command\build_src.py", line 513, in f2py_sources
    ['-m',ext_name]+f_sources)
  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\numpy\f2py\f2py2e.py", line 367, in run_main
    ret=buildmodules(postlist)
  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\numpy\f2py\f2py2e.py", line 319, in buildmodules
    dict_append(ret[mnames[i]],rules.buildmodule(modules[i],um))
  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\numpy\f2py\rules.py", line 1222, in buildmodule
    for l in '\n\n'.join(funcwrappers2)+'\n'.split('\n'):
TypeError: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'list' objects

Any thoughts? Please let me know if more information is needed to troubleshoot.

-Mark

Re: f2py errors: any help interpreting?

Robert Kern-2
On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Mark Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\numpy\f2py\rules.py", line 1222, in
> buildmodule
>     for l in '\n\n'.join(funcwrappers2)+'\n'.split('\n'):
> TypeError: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'list' objects
>

> Any thoughts? Please let me know if more information is needed to
> troubleshoot.

This is a bug that was fixed in SVN r4335.

http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/changeset/4335

Re: f2py errors: any help interpreting?

Mark Miller-12
Super...I'll give it a try.  Or should I just wait for the numpy 1.1 release?

thanks,

-Mark

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Mark Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Super...I'll give it a try.  Or should I just wait for the numpy 1.1
> release?

Probably. You can get a binary installer for the release candidate here:

http://www.ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp/members/david/archives/numpy-1.1.0rc1-win32-superpack-python2.5.exe

Re: f2py errors: any help interpreting?

Mark Miller-12
Thank you...getting much closer now.

My current issue is this message:

running build_ext
error:  don't know how to compile C/C++ code on platform 'nt' with 'g95' compiler.

Any help?

Again, sorry to pester.  I'm just pretty unfamiliar with these things.  Once I get environmental variables set up, I rarely need to fiddle with them again.  So I don't have a specific feel for what might be happening here.

thanks,

-Mark

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 5:48 PM, Mark Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thank you...getting much closer now.
>
> My current issue is this message:
>
> running build_ext
> error:  don't know how to compile C/C++ code on platform 'nt' with 'g95'
> compiler.
>
> Any help?

What command line are you using? Do you have a setup.cfg or
pydistutils.cfg file that you are using? Can you show us the full
output?

Re: f2py errors: any help interpreting?

Mark Miller-12
Ignore last message:  I seem to have figured out the next environmental variable that needed to be set.  Still some lingering issues, but I'll work on them some more before pestering here again.

thanks,

-Mark

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Mark Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you...getting much closer now.

My current issue is this message:

running build_ext
error:  don't know how to compile C/C++ code on platform 'nt' with 'g95' compiler.

Any help?

Again, sorry to pester.  I'm just pretty unfamiliar with these things.  Once I get environmental variables set up, I rarely need to fiddle with them again.  So I don't have a specific feel for what might be happening here.

thanks,

-Mark

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Robert Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Mark Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Super...I'll give it a try.  Or should I just wait for the numpy 1.1
> release?

Probably. You can get a binary installer for the release candidate here:

http://www.ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp/members/david/archives/numpy-1.1.0rc1-win32-superpack-python2.5.exe

Re: f2py errors: any help interpreting?

Mark Miller-12
In this case, I am just using the Windows command prompt.  I do not have a setup.cfg or pydistutils.cfg file.  I did create a file in Python25\Lib\distutils called distutils.cfg containing 2 lines:

[build]
compiler = mingw32

That took care of the previous message.  I am currently getting a 'failed with exit status 1' message, that for the life of me I can't remember what causes it.

I have attached the full (albeit tedius) output from an attempt, if someone is willing to wade through it.

-Mark

error message.txt (10K) Download Attachment

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 5:59 PM, Mark Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In this case, I am just using the Windows command prompt.  I do not have a
> setup.cfg or pydistutils.cfg file.  I did create a file in
> Python25\Lib\distutils called distutils.cfg containing 2 lines:
>
> [build]
> compiler = mingw32
>
> That took care of the previous message.  I am currently getting a 'failed
> with exit status 1' message, that for the life of me I can't remember what
> causes it.
>
> I have attached the full (albeit tedius) output from an attempt, if someone
> is willing to wade through it.

The important line is this one:

  ld: dllcrt2.o: No such file: No such file or directory

This looks like a problem with g95. Either it is misconfigured or we
aren't passing it the right flags. Can you check to see if there is a
dllcrt2.o file somewhere in your g95 installation?

Re: f2py errors: any help interpreting?

Mark Miller-12
It appears to be there:  dllcrt2.o in g95\lib.

I'll re-install g95 to see if it helps.  I'll also give gfortran in the meantime too.

-Mark

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Robert Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 5:59 PM, Mark Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In this case, I am just using the Windows command prompt.  I do not have a
> setup.cfg or pydistutils.cfg file.  I did create a file in
> Python25\Lib\distutils called distutils.cfg containing 2 lines:
>
> [build]
> compiler = mingw32
>
> That took care of the previous message.  I am currently getting a 'failed
> with exit status 1' message, that for the life of me I can't remember what
> causes it.
>
> I have attached the full (albeit tedius) output from an attempt, if someone
> is willing to wade through it.

The important line is this one:

 ld: dllcrt2.o: No such file: No such file or directory

This looks like a problem with g95. Either it is misconfigured or we
aren't passing it the right flags. Can you check to see if there is a
dllcrt2.o file somewhere in your g95 installation?

Re: f2py errors: any help interpreting?

Mark Miller-12
gfortran is doing the trick.  Must be a g95 misconfiguration or some other thing that I have no ability to comprehend.

Thanks for the tip about the buggy numpy 1.04.  That seemed to be the most serious hurdle.

-Mark