guide for downstream package authors & setting version constraints

guide for downstream package authors & setting version constraints

We now have a guide for downstream package authors, talking about API and ABI stability, NumPy versioning, testing against NumPy master, and how to add build time and runtime dependencies for numpy: https://numpy.org/devdocs/user/depending_on_numpy.html

Especially the version constraints and setting upper bounds for install_requires correctly is important - almost no packages do this correctly (or at all really). If your package depends on NumPy and you deal with packaging it, please check it out!

And for even more practical details on release process steps for a downstream package, see http://scipy.github.io/devdocs/dev/core-dev/index.html#updating-upper-bounds-of-dependencies

Re: guide for downstream package authors & setting version constraints

zoj613
Thanks you, this looks very informative. Is there a best practice guide
somewhere in the docs on how to correctly expose C-level code to third
parties via .pxd files, similarly to how one can access the c_distributions
of numpy via cython? I tried this previously and failed miserably. It seemed
like symbols for some C functions I tried to expose to the user via
cython declaration could not be found. I know I did something wrong, but im
not sure what (I linked the header files and everything). The Cython docs
were not very helpful. Maybe scipy/numpy devs could shed some light on how
this is properly done?

--
Sent from: http://numpy-discussion.10968.n7.nabble.com/

Re: guide for downstream package authors & setting version constraints

mattip
Administrator
This is a different topic altogether. I think you would get better
results asking on the cython-users mailing list with a concrete example
of something that didn't work.

Matti

On 3/6/21 7:52 PM, zoj613 wrote:
> Is there a best practice guide
> somewhere in the docs on how to correctly expose C-level code to third
> parties via .pxd files, similarly to how one can access the c_distributions
> of numpy via cython?

Re: guide for downstream package authors & setting version constraints

zoj613
Thanks for the suggestion. However I was able to solve the issue I had by
just creating inline wrapper functions in cython for the C functions so I
dont have to link them when importing in other 3rd party cython modules.

--
Sent from: http://numpy-discussion.10968.n7.nabble.com/