migration of all scipy.org mailing lists

migration of all scipy.org mailing lists

The server for the scipy.org mailing list is in very bad shape, so we (led by Didrik Pinte) are planning to complete the migration of active mailing lists to the python.org infrastructure and to decommission the lists than seem dormant/obsolete.

The scipy-user mailing list was already moved to python.org a month or two ago, and that migration went smoothly.

These are the lists we plan to migrate:

astropy
ipython-dev
ipython-user
numpy-discussion
numpy-svn
scipy-dev
scipy-organizers
scipy-svn

And these we plan to retire:

Announce
APUG
Ipython-tickets
Mailman
numpy-refactor
numpy-refactor-git
numpy-tickets
Pyxg
scipy-tickets
NiPy-devel

There will be a short period (<24 hours) where messages to the list may be refused, with an informative message as to why. The mailing list address will change from [hidden email] to [hidden email]

This will happen asap, likely within a day or two. So two requests:
1.  If you see any issue with this plan, please reply and keep Didrik and myself on Cc (we are not subscribed to all lists).
2. If you see this message on a numpy/scipy list, but not on another list (could be due to a moderation queue) then please forward this message again to that other list.

Re: migration of all scipy.org mailing lists

Neal Becker
Has anyone taken care of notifying gmane about this?

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:18 AM, Neal Becker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has anyone taken care of notifying gmane about this?

We will have to update this info in quite a few places after the move is done. Including Gmane, although that site hasn't been working for half a year so is pretty low on the priority list.

Re: migration of all scipy.org mailing lists

Nathan Goldbaum
Are you sure about astropy? They recently moved to google groups.

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017, Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

[...]

There will be a short period (<24 hours) where messages to the list may be refused, with an informative message as to why. The mailing list address will change from <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;listname@scipy.org&#39;);" target="_blank">listname@... to <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;listname@python.org&#39;);" target="_blank">listname@...

https://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/astropy/ shows messages as recent as today. So I'm sure I think (but happy to be corrected if moving to python.org is not desired for whatever reason).

Ralf Gommers wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:18 AM, Neal Becker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone taken care of notifying gmane about this?
>>

> We will have to update this info in quite a few places after the move is
> done. Including Gmane, although that site hasn't been working for half a
> year so is pretty low on the priority list.
>
> Ralf

I'm reading/writing to you via gmane, so I think it is working :)

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 9:57 PM, Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 12:27 AM, Neal Becker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ralf Gommers wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:18 AM, Neal Becker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone taken care of notifying gmane about this?
>>

> We will have to update this info in quite a few places after the move is
> done. Including Gmane, although that site hasn't been working for half a
> year so is pretty low on the priority list.
>
> Ralf

I'm reading/writing to you via gmane, so I think it is working :)

Your mail forwarding still happens to work, but that's not nearly as interesting a feature. Since Gmane is more or less unmaintained and at the moment http://gmane.org/ gives me a blank page, I don't think I'll bother to contact them (unless archives come back).

The move is complete, and I have updated the mailing list addresses at:
If anyone knows of other places, please let me know (or fix it).

Re: migration of all scipy.org mailing lists

Pauli Virtanen-3
Sun, 26 Mar 2017 21:05:47 +1300, Ralf Gommers kirjoitti:
[clip]
 > The move is complete, and I have updated the mailing list addresses at:
 > - numpy codebase (PR https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/8840)
 > - scipy codebase (PR https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/7226)
 > - Nabble (opened issue
 > http://support.nabble.com/All-scipy-org-mailing-list-moved-to-python-
org-td7597902.html),
 > also for ipython-dev
 >
 > If anyone knows of other places, please let me know (or fix it).

Should the Read/Search links be removed from this page:

They point to Gmane, which currently appears to just serve a blank page.
So maybe Gmane really is going away.

The Gmane NNTP server still works, but apparently you cannot post via it
because the To-address still points to @scipy.org. Not sure if there is
someone who can fix this any more.

--
Pauli Virtanen

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 8:22 AM, Pauli Virtanen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sun, 26 Mar 2017 21:05:47 +1300, Ralf Gommers kirjoitti:
[clip]
> The move is complete, and I have updated the mailing list addresses at:
> - numpy codebase (PR https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/8840)
> - scipy codebase (PR https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/7226)
> - Nabble (opened issue
> http://support.nabble.com/All-scipy-org-mailing-list-moved-to-python-
org-td7597902.html),
> also for ipython-dev
>
> If anyone knows of other places, please let me know (or fix it).

Should the Read/Search links be removed from this page:

They point to Gmane, which currently appears to just serve a blank page.
So maybe Gmane really is going away.

Yes, I think we should replace them with Nabble (unless someone has a better alternative?).

I was planning to rework the mailing-lists page for that and a few other things like explaining bottom posting.

Ralf

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 8:50 AM, Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 8:22 AM, Pauli Virtanen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sun, 26 Mar 2017 21:05:47 +1300, Ralf Gommers kirjoitti:
[clip]
> The move is complete, and I have updated the mailing list addresses at:
> - numpy codebase (PR https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/8840)
> - scipy codebase (PR https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/7226)
> - Nabble (opened issue
> http://support.nabble.com/All-scipy-org-mailing-list-moved-to-python-
org-td7597902.html),
> also for ipython-dev
>
> If anyone knows of other places, please let me know (or fix it).

Should the Read/Search links be removed from this page:

They point to Gmane, which currently appears to just serve a blank page.
So maybe Gmane really is going away.

Yes, I think we should replace them with Nabble (unless someone has a better alternative?).

I was planning to rework the mailing-lists page for that and a few other things like explaining bottom posting.

There is no scipy-dev Nabble forum. If anyone is familiar with Nabble (or wants to lbecome familiar with it) and can create that forum, that would be much appreciated. Right now there's no good way to search scipy-dev.