new numpy.org is live

Inessa Pawson
The NumPy web team is excited to announce the launch of the newly redesigned numpy.org. To transform the website into a comprehensive, yet user-centric, resource of all things NumPy was a primary focus of this months-long effort. We thank Joe LaChance, Ralf Gommers, Shaloo Shalini, Shekhar Prasad Rajak, Ross Barnowski, and Mars Lee for their extensive contributions to the project.

The new site features a curated collection of NumPy related educational resources for every user level, an overview of the entire Python scientific computing ecosystem, and several case studies highlighting the importance of the library to the many advances in scientific research as well as the industry in recent years. The “Install” and “Get Help” pages offer advice on how to find answers to installation and usage questions, while those who are looking to connect with others within our large and diverse community will find the “Community” page very helpful.

The new website will be updated on a regular basis with news about the NumPy project development milestones, community initiatives and events. Visitors are encouraged to explore the website and sign up for the newsletter.

Next, the NumPy web team will focus on updating graphics and project identity (a new logo is coming!), adding an installation widget and translations, better integrating the project documentation via the new Sphinx theme, and improving the interactive terminal experience. Also, we are looking to expand our portfolio of case studies and would appreciate any assistance in this matter.

Best regards,
Inessa Pawson
NumPy web team

Re: new numpy.org is live

Andras Deak
Dear Inessa,

The new design looks great, thanks for all the hard work from everyone!
Is there a well-defined channel where we can file potential bug
reports and feature requests for the website? Or do those just go on
the main numpy repo as issues?
Regards,

András

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 2:11 PM Inessa Pawson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The NumPy web team is excited to announce the launch of the newly redesigned numpy.org. To transform the website into a comprehensive, yet user-centric, resource of all things NumPy was a primary focus of this months-long effort. We thank Joe LaChance, Ralf Gommers, Shaloo Shalini, Shekhar Prasad Rajak, Ross Barnowski, and Mars Lee for their extensive contributions to the project.
>
> The new site features a curated collection of NumPy related educational resources for every user level, an overview of the entire Python scientific computing ecosystem, and several case studies highlighting the importance of the library to the many advances in scientific research as well as the industry in recent years. The “Install” and “Get Help” pages offer advice on how to find answers to installation and usage questions, while those who are looking to connect with others within our large and diverse community will find the “Community” page very helpful.
>
> The new website will be updated on a regular basis with news about the NumPy project development milestones, community initiatives and events. Visitors are encouraged to explore the website and sign up for the newsletter.
>
> Next, the NumPy web team will focus on updating graphics and project identity (a new logo is coming!), adding an installation widget and translations, better integrating the project documentation via the new Sphinx theme, and improving the interactive terminal experience. Also, we are looking to expand our portfolio of case studies and would appreciate any assistance in this matter.
>
> Best regards,
> Inessa Pawson
> NumPy web team

Re: new numpy.org is live

ralfgommers

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 2:19 PM Andras Deak <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Inessa,

The new design looks great, thanks for all the hard work from everyone!
Is there a well-defined channel where we can file potential bug
reports and feature requests for the website? Or do those just go on
the main numpy repo as issues?

András

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 2:11 PM Inessa Pawson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The NumPy web team is excited to announce the launch of the newly redesigned numpy.org. To transform the website into a comprehensive, yet user-centric, resource of all things NumPy was a primary focus of this months-long effort. We thank Joe LaChance, Ralf Gommers, Shaloo Shalini, Shekhar Prasad Rajak, Ross Barnowski, and Mars Lee for their extensive contributions to the project.
>
> The new site features a curated collection of NumPy related educational resources for every user level, an overview of the entire Python scientific computing ecosystem, and several case studies highlighting the importance of the library to the many advances in scientific research as well as the industry in recent years. The “Install” and “Get Help” pages offer advice on how to find answers to installation and usage questions, while those who are looking to connect with others within our large and diverse community will find the “Community” page very helpful.
>
> The new website will be updated on a regular basis with news about the NumPy project development milestones, community initiatives and events. Visitors are encouraged to explore the website and sign up for the newsletter.
>
> Next, the NumPy web team will focus on updating graphics and project identity (a new logo is coming!), adding an installation widget and translations, better integrating the project documentation via the new Sphinx theme, and improving the interactive terminal experience. Also, we are looking to expand our portfolio of case studies and would appreciate any assistance in this matter.
>
> Best regards,
> Inessa Pawson
> NumPy web team

Re: new numpy.org is live

Warren Weckesser-2
On 5/24/20, Inessa Pawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The NumPy web team is excited to announce the launch of the newly
> redesigned numpy.org. To transform the website into a comprehensive, yet
> user-centric, resource of all things NumPy was a primary focus of this
> months-long effort. We thank Joe LaChance, Ralf Gommers, Shaloo Shalini,
> Shekhar Prasad Rajak, Ross Barnowski, and Mars Lee for their extensive
> contributions to the project.

Beautiful!  Thanks for all the hard work that went into this fantastic update.

Warren

> The new site features a curated collection of NumPy related educational
> resources for every user level, an overview of the entire Python scientific
> computing ecosystem, and several case studies highlighting the importance
> of the library to the many advances in scientific research as well as the
> industry in recent years. The “Install” and “Get Help” pages offer advice
> on how to find answers to installation and usage questions, while those who
> are looking to connect with others within our large and diverse community
> will find the “Community” page very helpful.
>
> The new website will be updated on a regular basis with news about the
> NumPy project development milestones, community initiatives and events.
> Visitors are encouraged to explore the website and sign up for the
> newsletter.
>
> Next, the NumPy web team will focus on updating graphics and project
> identity (a new logo is coming!), adding an installation widget and
> translations, better integrating the project documentation via the new
> Sphinx theme, and improving the interactive terminal experience. Also, we
> are looking to expand our portfolio of case studies and would appreciate
> any assistance in this matter.
>
> Best regards,
> Inessa Pawson
> NumPy web team

Re: new numpy.org is live

Stephen Waterbury

This is an absolutely beautiful and very informative site!
It is clear all the work and thought that went into it.

So please take the following input as a constructive suggestion
from an outsider -- I am a long-time (30-year) Python user, and
I follow this list but do not regularly use NumPy ... so again,
an "outsider" perspective:

I would prefer to see the beautiful "ECOSYSTEM" section as the
top section of the page, since it is kind of a "gateway" to all
kinds of cool links, etc. -- and it is visually very interesting, as well.

The "features" boxes at the top of the page, while very good
information, are not nearly as "useful" and they are static,
so I would even suggest providing access to them via a
"Features" menu item among the very top items
(i.e., with "Installation", etc.).

Very humbly offered, with thanks for all the beautiful work.

Steve

Re: new numpy.org is live

hmaarrfk
This looks really great!

I love the Ecosystem section at the bottom!

Great job emphasising the importance, and the elegance of the library!

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 2:20 PM Stephen Waterbury <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer
More than awesome, now i feel that the logo
is a bit outdated.

Kind Regards,

Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer

https://www.github.com/Abdur-RahmaanJ

Mauritius

sent from gmail client on Android, that's why the signature is so ugly.

Re: new numpy.org is live

kikocorreoso
Hi all,

Great job!! Congratulations.

In the "Ecosystem" -> "Scientific Domains" section, I think the links for "bayesian inference" and "bio informatics" are wrong. The ones in "bayesian inference" should appear in "bio informatics" and vice versa. Also, in the "geographic processing" area appears Numpy.

Kind regards.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 8:19 PM Stephen Waterbury <[hidden email]> wrote:

This is an absolutely beautiful and very informative site!
It is clear all the work and thought that went into it.

So please take the following input as a constructive suggestion
from an outsider -- I am a long-time (30-year) Python user, and
I follow this list but do not regularly use NumPy ... so again,
an "outsider" perspective:

I would prefer to see the beautiful "ECOSYSTEM" section as the
top section of the page, since it is kind of a "gateway" to all
kinds of cool links, etc. -- and it is visually very interesting, as well.

The "features" boxes at the top of the page, while very good
information, are not nearly as "useful" and they are static,
so I would even suggest providing access to them via a
"Features" menu item among the very top items
(i.e., with "Installation", etc.).

Very humbly offered, with thanks for all the beautiful work.

Thanks for the feedback Steve. I have added your suggestion to https://github.com/numpy/numpy.org/issues/238.

Our strategy for the next while will be:
1. fix any bugs and correctness issues in content (done for everything already reported in this thread so far and on Twitter).
2. review remaining open PRs
3. prioritize from the large set of new ideas and already planned improvements. Tracking issue at https://github.com/numpy/numpy.org/issues/266

Steve

Re: new numpy.org is live

teoliphant
This is so excellent!  What a wonderful upgrade to the web-page.

Thank you for all the hard work and effort!

-Travis

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 7:12 AM Inessa Pawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Peter Wang-2
The new site looks really, really nice.  Thank you all for your hard work on this.  I think this will serve the community well for a long time to come!

-Peter