numpy in RHEL4

Bala subramanian-2
Dear friends,

I am trying to install numpy version numpy-1.0.4 in RHEL 4. My python version is 2.3.4.  While installation, it throws me the following error and stops. Kindly write me how to get rid of this.

Thanks,
Bala
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/liblapack.so when searching for -llapack
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/liblapack.a when searching for -llapack
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/3.4.6/../../../liblapack.so when searching for -llapack
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/3.4.6/../../../liblapack.a when searching for -llapack
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/liblapack.so when searching for -llapack
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/liblapack.a when searching for -llapack
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -llapack
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/liblapack.so when searching for -llapack
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/liblapack.a when searching for -llapack
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/3.4.6/../../../liblapack.so when searching for -llapack
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/3.4.6/../../../liblapack.a when searching for -llapack
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/liblapack.so when searching for -llapack
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/liblapack.a when searching for -llapack
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -llapack
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
error: Command "/usr/bin/g77 -g -Wall -g -Wall -shared build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.3/numpy/linalg/lapack_litemodule.o -L/usr/lib -llapack -lblas -lg2c -o build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.3/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so" failed with exit status 1

Re: numpy in RHEL4

Robert Kern-2
On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 6:14 AM, Bala subramanian
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> I am trying to install numpy version numpy-1.0.4 in RHEL 4. My python
> version is 2.3.4.  While installation, it throws me the following error and
> stops. Kindly write me how to get rid of this.

The files /usr/lib/liblapack.a and /usr/lib/liblapack.so are probably
32-bit instead of 64-bit. You can (probably) check this using the
command

  $ file /usr/lib/liblapack.so

Locate the 64-bit versions of liblapack and libblas and make sure that
you have the correct directory in your site.cfg file. The numpy source
tree contains a commented site.cfg.example file for you to start with.

Re: numpy in RHEL4

Bala subramanian-2
Dear Robert,
Thank you. But i am trying to install it in a 32-bit machine only. In that case, why dose it require 64 bit libraries.

Bala

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> I am trying to install numpy version numpy-1.0.4 in RHEL 4. My python
> version is 2.3.4.  While installation, it throws me the following error and
> stops. Kindly write me how to get rid of this.

The files /usr/lib/liblapack.a and /usr/lib/liblapack.so are probably
32-bit instead of 64-bit. You can (probably) check this using the
command

 $ file /usr/lib/liblapack.so

Locate the 64-bit versions of liblapack and libblas and make sure that
you have the correct directory in your site.cfg file. The numpy source
tree contains a commented site.cfg.example file for you to start with.

Re: numpy in RHEL4

Robert Kern-2
On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 4:21 AM, Bala subramanian
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Robert,
> Thank you. But i am trying to install it in a 32-bit machine only. In that
> case, why dose it require 64 bit libraries.

Well, judging from the paths on the command line, Python thinks it is
on a 64-bit machine: build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.3/

How did you build Python? If you didn't build it, where did you get it
from? You can check what kind of platform it thinks it is on with the
following:

>>> import platform
>>> platform.architecture()
('64bit', 'ELF')