participating in AI Code-In?

We got an invitation to participate in AI Code-In (https://aicode-in.github.io/AICode-In/). It's a new initiative, seems a bit GSoC like, but created by and for middle/high schoolers. We'd have to create tasks to work on (more like tagging/creation actionable issues than a full project), and provide some mentoring bandwidth.

It seems well-organized and because it's a new initiative it may be smaller and more "early adopter" than GSoC. Would anyone be interested to participate as a mentor and/or lead the NumPy organization participation?

Re: participating in AI Code-In?

Saber Tooth
Hi Ralf ,
I'd be glad and more than interested to take part in CodeIn as a Mentor if there is no issue .

Thanks ,
Mrinal

On Sat, 1 Aug, 2020, 4:52 pm Ralf Gommers, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

We got an invitation to participate in AI Code-In (https://aicode-in.github.io/AICode-In/). It's a new initiative, seems a bit GSoC like, but created by and for middle/high schoolers. We'd have to create tasks to work on (more like tagging/creation actionable issues than a full project), and provide some mentoring bandwidth.

It seems well-organized and because it's a new initiative it may be smaller and more "early adopter" than GSoC. Would anyone be interested to participate as a mentor and/or lead the NumPy organization participation?

Re: participating in AI Code-In?

Saber Tooth
Hi Ralf ,
I have quite some experience in Computer Vision where I developed a model to detect different type of currency notes and use object detection to augment 3d objects on these currency notes ,  there I relied up opencv python libraries and NumPy arrays for detection .

I'd like to apply for mentoring role .
Here is the link to my repo

Thanks ,
Mrinal

On Sat, 1 Aug, 2020, 4:55 pm Saber Tooth, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

yash varshney
Hey Ralf,
This is great, I would love to participate as a mentor in this wonderful opportunity.

Brief about me:
I am well experienced in Computer Vision as well as in NLP. I have done Tensorflow-in-Practice Specialization, How to win kaggle Competitions, NLP Specialization (ongoing) courses. I have participated in kaggle competitions and have studied 3 courses of Data Science in my college.

Also, presently I'm working as a mentee in SPDX community ( under Linux Foundation) via CommunityBridge Mentorship program by Linux Foundation.
I also a main contributor in DFFML (dataflow facilitator for Machine Learning) org under PSF.

Thanks, would love to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Yash Varshney
B18038
IIT Mandi, H.P., India

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020, 4:52 PM Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

We got an invitation to participate in AI Code-In (https://aicode-in.github.io/AICode-In/). It's a new initiative, seems a bit GSoC like, but created by and for middle/high schoolers. We'd have to create tasks to work on (more like tagging/creation actionable issues than a full project), and provide some mentoring bandwidth.

It seems well-organized and because it's a new initiative it may be smaller and more "early adopter" than GSoC. Would anyone be interested to participate as a mentor and/or lead the NumPy organization participation?

Re: participating in AI Code-In?

Brigitta Sipocz

At first sight, the competition element seems a bit weird approach for the open source setting. Do you see a way how it can work out well?

(Google also has a code-in for HS students. Has numpy ever tried it? (all the mentors I talked to at the last gsoc summit said it takes more time to mentor than gsoc, but I guess maybe it's partly due to the fact that is different, if we count all the pre-coding period efforts put into gsoc by the wider community, it also adds up significantly)).

Cheers,
Brigitta

Hi all,