"Proposal to accept NEP 34: Disallow inferring dtype=object from sequence

"Proposal to accept NEP 34: Disallow inferring dtype=object from sequence

mattip
Administrator
I propose to move the NEP https://numpy.org/neps/nep-0034.html from
"draft" to "accepted" status. There were no objections (actually there
were no responses at all) to the mail proposing the NEP
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2019-October/080200.html.

PR 14794 https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/14794 is an implementation
of the first step, deprecating current automatic detection,

f there are no substantive objections within 7 days from this email,
then the NEP will be accepted; see NEP 0 for more details.

Re: "Proposal to accept NEP 34: Disallow inferring dtype=object from sequence

Juan Nunez-Iglesias-2
For what it’s worth, I support this NEP. I have indeed seen this mistake often when teaching NumPy.

> On 17 Nov 2019, at 8:43 am, Matti Picus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I propose to move the NEP https://numpy.org/neps/nep-0034.html from "draft" to "accepted" status. There were no objections (actually there were no responses at all) to the mail proposing the NEP https://mail.python.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2019-October/080200.html.
>

> PR 14794 https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/14794 is an implementation of the first step, deprecating current automatic detection,
>

> f there are no substantive objections within 7 days from this email, then the NEP will be accepted; see NEP 0 for more details.
>

> Matti

Re: "Proposal to accept NEP 34: Disallow inferring dtype=object from sequence

Marcelo Gasparian Gosling
I also support this. Small price in edge case usability for a lot less shooting yourself in the foot

On 16/11/19 1:42 pm, Matti Picus wrote:

> I propose to move the NEP https://numpy.org/neps/nep-0034.html from
> "draft" to "accepted" status. There were no objections (actually there
> were no responses at all) to the mail proposing the NEP
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2019-October/080200.html.
>

> PR 14794 https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/14794 is an
> implementation of the first step, deprecating current automatic
> detection,
>

> f there are no substantive objections within 7 days from this email,
> then the NEP will be accepted; see NEP 0 for more details.
>

> Matti

There were no objections, we can move forward.