shipping manylinux1 wheels - when do we stop?

shipping manylinux1 wheels - when do we stop?

mattip
Administrator
The question of manylinux1 wheels came up enough that I wrote a blog
post about it. In short: for 1.21 I would like to ship only
manylinux2014 and up. Here is the blog post
https://labs.quansight.org/blog/2020/11/manylinux1-is-obsolete-manylinux2010-is-almost-eol-what-is-next/

Re: shipping manylinux1 wheels - when do we stop?

Charles R Harris

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 3:59 AM Matti Picus <[hidden email]> wrote:
The question of manylinux1 wheels came up enough that I wrote a blog
post about it. In short: for 1.21 I would like to ship only
manylinux2014 and up. Here is the blog post
https://labs.quansight.org/blog/2020/11/manylinux1-is-obsolete-manylinux2010-is-almost-eol-what-is-next/

Good job summarizing the information. I looked at the code for how Python supports pip and it seems build dependent, it isn't part of the Python library, so I'm not sure that pip and Python versions are strongly associated. I didn't find any such list when looking for it.

On 11/13/20 5:57 PM, Charles R Harris wrote:

> Good job summarizing the information. I looked at the code for how
> Python supports pip and it seems build dependent, it isn't part of the
> Python library, so I'm not sure that pip and Python versions are
> strongly associated. I didn't find any such list when looking for it.
>
> Chuck

In order to ascertain what version of pip is shipped with what version
of CPython, I  checked the package vendored into the CPython repo at
"Lib/ensurepip/_bundled". In the table below, pip 19.0 was the first to
support manylinux10, 19.3 was the first to support manylinux2014. The
release dates came from https://github.com/python/cpython/releases

version     release date        pip

3.7.2     Dec 23, 2018      18.1

3.7.3,    Mar 25, 2019      19.0

3.7.8     June 27, 2020     20.1

3.8.0-2                             19.2

3.8.4    July 13, 2020        20.1

3.9.0                                 20.2