start of an array (tensor) and dataframe API standardization initiative

start of an array (tensor) and dataframe API standardization initiative

I'd like to share this announcement blog post about the creation of a consortium for array and dataframe API standardization here: https://data-apis.org/blog/announcing_the_consortium/. It's still in the beginning stages, but starting to take shape. We have participation from one or more maintainers of most array and tensor libraries - NumPy, TensorFlow, PyTorch, MXNet, Dask, JAX, Xarray. Stephan Hoyer, Travis Oliphant and myself have been providing input from a NumPy perspective.

The effort is very much related to some of the interoperability work we've been doing in NumPy (e.g. it could provide an answer to what's described in https://numpy.org/neps/nep-0037-array-module.html#requesting-restricted-subsets-of-numpy-s-api).

At this point we're looking for feedback from maintainers at a high level (see the blog post for details).

Also important: the python-record-api tooling and data in its repo has very granular API usage data, of the kind we could really use when making decisions that impact backwards compatibility.