summary of "office Hours" open discusison April 25

summary of "office Hours" open discusison April 25

mattip
Office Hours 25April 2018 12:00 -13:00 PDT

Present: Matti Picus, Allan Haldane, Ralf Gommers, Matthew Brett, Tyler
Reddy, Stéfan van der Walt, Hameer Abbasi

Some of the people were not present for the entire discussion, audio was a
little flaky at times.

Topics:

Grant background overview

Matti has been browsing through issues and pull-requests to try to get a
handle on common themes and community pain points.

- Policy questions:
   - Do we close duplicate issues? (answer - Yes, referencing the other issue,
     as long as they are true duplicates )
   - Do we close tutorial-like issues that are documented?(answer - Yes, maybe
     improving documentation)
- Common theme - there are many issues about overflow, mainly about int32.
   Maybe add a mode or command switch for warning on int32 overflow?

- Requested topic for discussion - improving CI and MacOS testing
   - How to filter CI issues on github? There is a component:build label but
     it is not CI specific
   - What about MacOS testing - should it be sending notices? (answer -
     Probably)
   - Running ASV benchmarking (https://asv.readthedocs.io/en/latest/). It is
     done with SciPy, but it is fragile, not done nightly; need ability to run
     branches more robustly documentation on SciPy site
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/tree/master/benchmarks
- Hameer: f2py during testing is the system one, not the internal one

Most of the remaining discussion was a meta-discussion about how the
community will continue to decide priorities and influence how the full-time
developers spend their time.

- Setting up a community-driven roadmap would be useful
- Be aware of the risks of having devoted developer time on a
   community project
- Influence can be subtle: ideally, community writes roadmap, instead
   of simply commenting on proposal
- Can we distill past lessons to inform future decisions?
- In general, how to determine community priorities?
- Constant communication paramount, looks like things are going in
   the right direction.

Furher resources to consider:
- How did Jupyter organize their roadmap (ask Brian Granger)?
- How did Pandas run the project with a full time maintainer (Jeff Reback)?
- Can we copy other projects' management guidelines?

We did not set a time for another online discussion, since it was felt
that maybe near/during the sprint in May would be appropriate.

I apologize for any misrepresentation.

Matti Picus

Re: summary of "office Hours" open discusison April 25

Nelle Varoquaux

Furher resources to consider:
- How did Jupyter organize their roadmap (ask Brian Granger)?
- How did Pandas run the project with a full time maintainer (Jeff Reback)?
- Can we copy other projects' management guidelines?

scikit-learn also has a number of full time developers. Might be worth checking out what they did.