the NumPy paper is out!

Nature published our first official paper: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2649-2

And here is the Twitter announcement: https://twitter.com/numpy_team/status/1306268442450972674

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this milestone! A few special mentions:

Chuck, for many years of tireless labour keeping our code base in good shape, and being the top committer on the NumPy project by now with more than twice the commits (says `git shortlog -sn`) as the number two committer. This is why Chuck is the first author on the paper.

Travis, for creating NumPy. This is why Travis is the last author on the paper, as our "elder statesman".

Jarrod and Stéfan, for spending a ton of time on making this the best possible paper we could possibly produce on NumPy.

Re: the NumPy paper is out!

Francesc Alted-3
Very well written article! Congratulations everybody, most specially Travis and Chuck for their outstanding work!

El dc., 16 set. 2020, 19.54, Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> va escriure:
Hi all,

Nature published our first official paper: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2649-2

And here is the Twitter announcement: https://twitter.com/numpy_team/status/1306268442450972674

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this milestone! A few special mentions:

Chuck, for many years of tireless labour keeping our code base in good shape, and being the top committer on the NumPy project by now with more than twice the commits (says `git shortlog -sn`) as the number two committer. This is why Chuck is the first author on the paper.

Travis, for creating NumPy. This is why Travis is the last author on the paper, as our "elder statesman".

Jarrod and Stéfan, for spending a ton of time on making this the best possible paper we could possibly produce on NumPy.

Re: the NumPy paper is out!

Frederic Bastien

Congratulations everybody!

Re: the NumPy paper is out!

Valerio Maggio
Congratulations everyone!
The paper is very well written, wonderfully organised, and something we should all be proud of.

I am super happy that NumPy has finally its own (Nature!) paper: truly deserved for all the community effort, and for the key central role NumPy now has for all the ecosystem.

Thank you!

Valerio

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 9:00 PM Frederic Bastien <[hidden email]> wrote:

Congratulations everybody!

Re: the NumPy paper is out!

Evgeni Burovski
Congratulations!

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 8:54 PM Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Nature published our first official paper: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2649-2
>
> And here is the Twitter announcement: https://twitter.com/numpy_team/status/1306268442450972674
>
> Thanks to everyone who contributed to this milestone! A few special mentions:
>
> Chuck, for many years of tireless labour keeping our code base in good shape, and being the top committer on the NumPy project by now with more than twice the commits (says `git shortlog -sn`) as the number two committer. This is why Chuck is the first author on the paper.
>
> Travis, for creating NumPy. This is why Travis is the last author on the paper, as our "elder statesman".
>
> Jarrod and Stéfan, for spending a ton of time on making this the best possible paper we could possibly produce on NumPy.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

Re: the NumPy paper is out!

Derek Homeier
I did not want to put any more load on the list, but let me just report that this news has got
177 likes within 24 hours in the Python users in Astronomy Facebook group, which I think
sets a new record (not the 10 k likes on Twitter, but that’s a different audience ;-).

Congratulations everyone again!

Derek

> On 16 Sep 2020, at 7:53 pm, Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Nature published our first official paper: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2649-2
>
> And here is the Twitter announcement: https://twitter.com/numpy_team/status/1306268442450972674
>
> Thanks to everyone who contributed to this milestone! A few special mentions:
>
> Chuck, for many years of tireless labour keeping our code base in good shape, and being the top committer on the NumPy project by now with more than twice the commits (says `git shortlog -sn`) as the number two committer. This is why Chuck is the first author on the paper.
>
> Travis, for creating NumPy. This is why Travis is the last author on the paper, as our "elder statesman".
>
> Jarrod and Stéfan, for spending a ton of time on making this the best possible paper we could possibly produce on NumPy.

Re: the NumPy paper is out!

hmaarrfk
Great work all! It got to the top of new.ycombinator.com ;)